The Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids (newest edition now available!) is full of interesting facts. Here is some head-to-toe knowledge about the human body that will blow your mind!
Head to Toe! Did You Know?
• The average adult has about 5 million body hairs.
• If the average man never trimmed his beard, it would grow to be nearly 30 feet long.
• The human brain contains 400 miles of blood vessels.
• The eye’s retina is about the size of a postage stamp and contains about 130 million light-sensitive cells.
• Most people blink about 15 times in 1 minute. That’s the equivalent of 9 days a year!
• A yawn lasts about 6 seconds on average.
• Everyone—even an identical twin—has a unique tongue print and set of fingerprints.
• Skin is the largest organ in the body. Adults have about 8 pounds of skin, which, if laid flat, would measure about 22 square feet.
• Babies are born with 300 bones, but mature adults have only 206.
• The funnybone isn’t a bone; it’s a nerve that runs from the elbow to the fingers. The ulnar nerve tingles when bumped against the humerus, the long bone that goes from the elbow to the shoulder.
• Fingernails grow three to four times faster than toenails.