Throughout history, the kiss has been used to express a range of emotions. What makes a pucker so powerful? The 2013 Old Farmer’s Almanac shares some lip lore from around the world that may answer that question!
If you find yourself wanting more, click here to check out The 2014 Old Farmer's Almanac!
A Kiss Is Just A Kiss … or Is It?
• In some areas of England, it is believed that a newborn will be influenced later in life by the character of the person (other than its mother) who gives it its first kiss.
• If a girl stands under mistletoe, she can not refuse anyone who wishes to kiss her.
• To protect yourself from lightning, make three crosses in front of yourself and kiss the ground three times.
• For good luck in gambling, kiss the cards before the game begins.
• To cure a toothache, kiss a donkey on his chops.
• If you drop a piece of bread on the floor, kiss it when you pick it up to avoid bad luck.
• Danish custom says that it’s a bad omen when the first person you see in the morning is an old woman. Should that happen, you must kiss her to avoid bad luck.
Kiss Good-Bye for Good Luck
According to a study by German psychologist Dr. Arthur Sazbo, people who kissed their spouse good-bye in the morning:
• missed less work due to illness
• had fewer auto accidents on the way to work
• earned 20 to 30 percent more money monthly
• lived approximately 5 years longer than those who did not