Looking for home remedies to relieve dry skin? Here's the skinny.
Winter's low humidity and harsh conditions can do a number on your skin, leaving it flaky, itchy, and dry as an old bone. If you don't want to look like a desert tortoise, take a few precautionary measures:
- As soon as you get out of the shower or tub, while your skin is still damp, slather on the moisturizing lotion.
- Choose a lotion brand that has petroleum jelly or lanolin high on the ingredients list.
- Don't go outside in any season without using SPF of at least 15 on your face and hands.
- Try adding lemon juice or vinegar to your bathwater. Soap, being highly alkaline, may make your skin feel itchy.
- To soften dry skin, add 1 cup powdered milk to your bath. (It worked for Cleopatra.)
- Avoid steaming hot water or lengthy immersions, which will strip your skin of its natural oils.
- Wash gently. Vigorous scrubbing can further irritate sensitive skin.
- Forgo skin products that contain alcohol, which is drying.
Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. –Samuel Ullman