Make homemade remedies for skin, care, and puffy eyes—from common, edible household items!
Whether you're in the mood for romance or simply want to take better care of your body, there is a spa sitting right there in your kitchen.
Problem: Dull, dry, lackluster hair
- Use lemon juice as a rinse over freshly washed hair to induce natural highlights, especially if you're a blond. It's instant sunshine for your hair, in a fruit.
- Beer has long been used—even by professionals—as a setting lotion and conditioner. Pour straight from the can or bottle, comb through and rinse.
- Mayonnaise, straight from the jar, will make hair soft and shiny. The egg nourishes brittle hair with protein, while the vinegar gives it body and bounce.
- Try this mixture to regain supple hair: Mix one teaspoon powdered brewers' yeast with four ounces of apple cider vinegar to create an after wash rinse. Pour it over wet hair and let stand at least a minute before rinsing.
Problem: Oily hair and skin
- Add one teaspoon baking soda to two ounces of your shampoo. This works as an alkali to absorb excess oil.
- Baking soda works the same way with skin, it will absorb oil and also neutralize excess acid in your skin. Make a paste with baking soda and water.
- Try lemon juice as an astringent facial cleanser.
Problem: Dry skin
- For a homemade scrub, mix ground oats and honey. Rub all over your face—especially your nose. The abrasive will remove dry, scaly skin while the honey seeps in as a moisturizer. Rinse completely off and pat dry, and your skin will be glowing and baby soft. Only use this remedy once a week.
- Plain honey is an excellent remedy for chapped lips. Leave on overnight—it makes for sweet dreams!
- For superdry skin, use olive oil. Rub it in prior to a bath or shower. You may substitute peanut, sesame or sunflower oil.
- A quart of milk in a hot bath is a luxury as well as a skin toner. It's a trick nearly as old as time.
Problem: Puffy, tired-looking eyes
- Used teabags make excellent eye cosmetics. After dunked, drain it and place it over your closed eye (one for each) and hold it there for a few minutes. Redness, soreness, swelling and irritation will disappear like magic.