Our 2015 “Planting by the Moon's Phase” gardening calendar is a longtime Old Farmer's Almanac tradition. According to this practice, cycles of the Moon affect plant growth.
See dates for Region 3 (northern U.S. states, Canada). Don't know your region? Click here for map.
Note that these gardening regions are quite broad and based on an age-old formula; we also offer a different methodology that's more personalized with our “Best Planting Dates” calendar here.
How to Read the “Planting by the Moon” Gardening Calendar
- The “Moon Favorable” column gives the best planting dates based on the year's Moon's phases (Eastern Time). See our Moon Phase Calendar for the exact days of the new and full Moons.)
- Plant vegetables that bear crops above ground during the light, or waxing, of the Moon: from the day the Moon is new to the day it is full. Plant vegetables that bear crops below ground during the dark, or waning, of the Moon: from the day after it is full to the day before it is new again.
- The “Planting Dates” column gives the safe periods for planting in areas that receive frost. See our U.S. Frost Dates Calculator and Canadian Frost Dates to find your first fall and last spring frost dates and the average length of the growing season in your area.
- Aboveground crops marked *
- (E) means early planting; (L) means late
|Planting Dates||Moon Favorable|
|* Barley||5/15–6/21||5/18–6/2, 6/16–21|
|* Beans (E)||5/7–6/21||5/18–6/2, 6/16–21|
|* Broccoli (E)||5/15–31||5/18–31|
|* Brussels sprouts||5/15–31||5/18–31|
|* Cauliflower (E)||5/15–31||5/18–31|
|* Celery (E)||5/15–6/30||5/18–6/2, 6/16–30|
|* Collards (E)||5/15–31||5/18–31|
|* Corn, sweet (E)||5/10–6/15||5/18–6/2|
|* Cucumbers||5/7–6/20||5/18–6/2, 6/16–20|
|* Eggplants||6/1–30||6/1–2, 6/16–30|
|* Endive (E)||5/15–31||5/18–31|
|* Kale (E)||5/15–31||5/18–31|
|* Lettuce||5/15–6/30||5/18–6/2, 6/16–30|
|* Muskmelons||5/15–6/30||5/18–6/2, 6/16–30|
|Onion sets||5/15–6/7||5/15–17, 6/3–7|
|* Peas (E)||4/15–5/7||4/18–5/3|
|* Peppers||5/15–6/30||5/18–6/2, 6/16–30|
|* Spinach (E)||5/15–31||5/18–31|
|Sweet potatoes||5/15–6/15||5/15–17, 6/3–15|
|* Swiss chard||5/1–31||5/1–3, 5/18–31|
|* Wheat, spring||4/7–30||4/18–30|
|* Wheat, winter||8/11–9/15||8/14–29, 9/13–15|