The Gardening by the Moon 2016 calendar is longtime Old Farmer's Almanac tradition. According to this practice, cycles of the Moon affect plant growth.
These are dates for Region 3. Which region are you in? Click here for the map.
Note: There are four broad regions across North America. If you prefer, we also offer a regular gardening calendar (not Moon-based) that customizes to zip code level. See the all-seasons gardening calendar.
How to Garden by the Moon
Gardening by the Moon is a great way to help plan your above and below ground crops. Here's how it works:
- Plant flowers and vegetables that bear crops above ground during the light, or waxing, of the Moon: from the day the Moon is new to the day it is full.
- Plant flowering bulbs and vegetables that bear crops below ground during the dark, or waning, of the Moon: from the day after it is full to the day before it is new again.
- The "Planting Dates" column gives the safe periods for planting in areas that receive frost. See our Frost Dates Calculator for first/last frost dates and the average length of the growing season in your area (U.S. only).
- The "Moon Favorable" column gives the best planting dates based on the year's Moon's phases (Eastern Time). See our for the exact days of the new and full Moons.
- Aboveground crops marked *
- (E) means early planting; (L) means late
|Planting Dates||Moon Favorable|
|* Barley||5/15-6/21||5/15-21, 6/4-20|
|* Beans (E)||5/7-6/21||5/7-21, 6/4-20|
|* Broccoli (E)||5/15-31||5/15-21|
|* Brussels sprouts||5/15-31||5/15-21|
|* Cauliflower (E)||5/15-31||5/15-21|
|* Celery (E)||5/15-6/30||5/15-21, 6/4-20|
|* Collards (E)||5/15-31||5/15-21|
|* Corn, sweet (E)||5/10-6/15||5/10-21, 6/4-15|
|* Cucumbers||5/7-6/20||5/7-21, 6/4-20|
|* Endive (E)||5/15-31||5/15-21|
|* Kale (E)||5/15-31||5/15-21|
|* Lettuce||5/15-6/30||5/15-21, 6/4-20|
|* Muskmelons||5/15-6/30||5/15-21, 6/4-20|
|* Okra||6/15-7/10||6/15-20, 7/4-10|
|* Peas (E)||4/15-5/7||4/7-22, 5/6-7|
|* Peppers||5/15-6/30||5/15-21, 6/4-20|
|* Spinach (E)||5/15-31||5/15-21|
|(L)||7/17-9/7||7/17-19, 8/2-18, 9/1-7|
|* Squashes||5/15-6/15||5/15-21, 6/4-15|
|* Swiss chard||5/1-31||5/6-21|
|* Wheat, spring||4/7-30||4/7-22|
|* Wheat, winter||8/11-9/15||8/11-18, 9/1-15|