Make a glove turkey, a cute decoration for a Thanksgiving table centerpiece. Here's how:
- Use three different-color, small, stretch-knit gloves (yellow; orange or red; and brown). You can find these inexpensive gloves at any department store.
- Stuff the yellow and the orange or red glove with polyester fill.
- Sew the cuff ends shut.
- Stuff the brown glove for the turkey's front with a little more filling so that you get a nice "stomach."
- Stitch the cuff end shut, and tack the thumb to the front to form the turkey's head.
- Glue or sew the other two stuffed gloves to the back of the brown glove.
- Spread the fingers, and make sure that the turkey balances well on a flat surface.
Decorate the turkey with a felt beak, Pilgrim hat, vest, and tie. Attach tiny button eyes. If you like, you can put the turkey on a plate decorated with leaves, moss, and dried flowers for a Thanksgiving centerpiece.
Illustration by Margo Letourneau