Transform a soda can into a holiday candle decoration. Here’s how:
- Very carefully cut off the top and bottom of the soda can with heavy-duty scissors.
- Cut the seam open and flatten the can, with the shiny side up and the soda logo down.
- Trace a star, snowman, or Christmas-tree design onto the flattened can, but leave a 1-½-inch border the whole width of the can at the bottom edge. The border is going to be the stand for the decoration.
- Use heavy-duty scissors to cut out the design and the border, and use a paper punch to punch holes into the aluminum for light to shine through.
- Carefully sand any sharp edges when you are finished cutting and punching holes.
- Bend the bottom edge backward into a circle, shiny side out, and secure with staples.
- Put the decoration on a plate and put a votive candle inside the circle, or put the decoration around a candle that’s in its own holder.
Illustration by Margo Letourneau