Try making your own gift jars this year, because one of the nicest presents you can give is a gift of food from your own kitchen.
Spend a little time and dress up your pickles or preserves as a special gift at Christmastime.
- There are many easy ways to cover those little metal tops. Start with a circle of colored paper or fabric that is two inches larger than the jar top.
- Secure it with several turns of fine gold cord and knot the cord, leaving an inch or so hanging below the knot.
- Secure the knot with sealing wax for a special touch. Or tie on a frilly fabric or paper doily, using a fancy ribbon and a small bouquet of dried or paper flowers.
- Traditional checked gingham gives your gifts a country look; use pinking shears to cut the circles. Or glue lace onto fabric for another look.
- For a delightful touch, draw and cut out appropriate stencils (a strawberry for strawberry jam), and apply them to muslin with fabric paint.
Illustrated by Margo Letourneau