Subscribe Now to the Digital Almanac Monthly Magazine!

Can someone help?

3 replies [Last post]
Joined: 2009-08-07

Firstly I know this question should be put on the cookery forum but I'll only get very correct but somewhay boring answers there.
Now if you cook a joint of beef and mince up whats left and make it into a pie covered with potato it's called a cottage pie.
If you do the same with lamb it's called a shepherds pie.
Now what if you use turkey meat what is it called. Get your old thinking hats on any ideas.
PJ aught have loads of ideas what with his hat being the size it looks.

Joined: 2009-08-06
It's called

Thanksgiving Leftovers!!

Joined: 2009-09-04
shepherds pie

I always thought shepherds pie was made from beef. That's how my wife makes it. I think it may called shepherds pie because the mashed potatoes on top look like wool. Or perhaps it originally had lamb in it.

If you Google "shepherds pie" most of the recipes have beef. It may be because here in the States we eat more beef than lamb or mutton. One Web site I looked at shows traditional shepherds pie made with lamb and American shepherds pie made with beef.

As far as what to call shepherds pie made wtih turkey, the sites I visited just called it turkey shepherds pie. Actually, I think PJ has the correct answer.

Joined: 2009-08-07

Gobble Pie!!

(as in Gobble Me UP) ;)

Post new comment

Before posting, please review all comments. Due to the volume of questions, Almanac editors can respond only occasionally, as time allows. We also welcome tips from our wonderful Almanac community!

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

2015 Special Edition Garden GuideCooking Fresh with The Old Farmer's AlmanacThe Almanac Monthly Digital MagazineWhat the heck is a Garden Hod?