Buy the 2015 Old Farmer's Almanac!

OFA puzzle from 1988

8 replies [Last post]
mmu

A friend shared a puzzle he claims he got from the 1988 Old Farmer's Almanac. We've been trying to solve the puzzle but we're having a hard time and we wonder if we have the correct clues. My friend no longer has the Almanac.

Can you share the puzzle with us so we can verify we have the correct clues?

The puzzle looks like a cross word puzzle but the answers are all numbers. There are 21 blocks in the puzzle. There is a diagram of a rectangle with top = x, side = y and hypotenus = z. Some of the clues are:

a. The short side in feet
b. The long side in yards
c. The perimeter in miles
d. One half the diagonal in rods
e. One third the area in acres
f. The year of this OFA = 1988
g. One of the numbers is the sum of the 21 numbers but this is not it.

Any help you can provide so we can continue to try to solve the puzzle would be appreciated. We're having fun with it but want to be sure we're not wasting out time because we have incorrect clues.

That's It

You've got all the clues.

The last part of the puzzle reads "There are no leading zeros, decimal points, fractions, or Earth curvature to worry about."

Happy Puzzling!!!

mmu
Thanks

Thanks. Now we don't have any excuses for not solving the puzzle.

Yer Welcome

If you do solve it, please post it!

This was one of 4 that were part of the Puzzles Contest. You had to write in the answer to TOFA ...

I checked the '89 almanac and maybe I went too fast but did not see a posting of the answers, only the winners.

Redmink

Girl, you are a wealth of knowledge! I googled for the answer and got nothing. Do you the actual book?

Yes

I have that edition. And I collect them, there's so much good stuff packed into them!

P.S. -- my Lantana's are doing fine, I'm probably overwatering them, but they are a very different plant than I'm used to and love the way it grows! Its flower domes are a combination pale yellow and pink.

Consider me a convert! No wonder you identify with them.

You should see mine, they are

You should see mine, they are the most beautiful color ever this year, don't what the difference is. On the same plant I have yellow/orange blooms and ones that are a combination of yellow/orange and pink and they look salmon colored....beautiful!

PS you don't have to water them at all if they are well established, I never water unless we haven't had rain in a couple of weeks and even then, I just give a light sprinkle.

I'll Try To Relax

Thanx Lantana, I just got them, will transplant tomorrow after the rain .... HEAVENLY RAIN!! Heavenly 70's instead of 90's!

The salmon color sounds nice ... I try to find the mini-petunia in "sunset", very similar.

mmu
Puzzle solved - answer included in this message

I finally solved the puzzle. Here are the values that fit in the crossword(number)format.

a. The short side in feet 87120
b. The long side in yards 49280
c. The perimeter in miles 89
d. One half the diagonal in rods 5200
e. One third the area in acres 98560
f. The year of this OFA = 1988 1988
g. One of the numbers is the sum of the 21 numbers but this is not it. 8074

Post new comment

Before posting, please review all comments. Due to the volume of questions, Almanac editors can respond only occasionally, as time allows. We also welcome tips from our wonderful Almanac community!

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

2015 Garden Calendar2015 Weather Watcher's Calendar2015 Recipes Calendar2015 Engagement Calendar 2015 Everyday Calendar2015 Country CalendarNew Year Cross StitchLobster Rope Doormats