1'400 SQ. Feet, Good Soil, Few Rocks!

10 replies [Last post]

My new garden plot is off to a good start! :)

I tilled proximately 1'400 square feet of really fertile looking soil, and found only a half dozen or so small rocks! :D :exmark:

I don't know if it was the better soil to be working in, or the better quality belts I got for the tiller, but I'm happy that the till stayed working long enough to get that all done!

After the original belts wore out I had a lot of trouble keeping belts on it, every time I tilled and went down deeper hitting more rocks, the new belt lasted less and less long!

Later today I hope to get out there and get the few rocks picked out, and to get started on getting the grass plants picked out!

My sister is planting her seeds in peat pots out in the greenhouse today, I think I'll get mine starting when she's finished starting hers! :D

Way Ta GO!!

That's one good hunk a' land Larry!

It's probably the best for a 100 miles around.

Glad you figured out the belt thing ... it's the little things ...

Have Fun!

Thanks Redmink!

:) :exmark:

Circus!

I went to a Shriner Circus yesterday,,,,boy was it ever tempting to ask for the pony and elephant droppings for the garden, but I knew the relatives would have killed me if I had gotten any such thing in the Suburban with us! Sure would have stank, but what stinks instead is going without the fertilizer! :P

Walla Walla Onions!

I just bought two bundles of Walla Walla Onion sets to go in the new garden plot! :D

My sister put seed for some of them in peat pots the other day too, but I wanted these to try to help ensure a crop of them.

My mother's neighbor gave us some of his small ones last summer,,,,they were the size of soft balls or bigger! :D

So I know they can be grown here, even if I havent had good luck with onions before,,,,I have always done well with green onions, it's the grasshoppers eating them before they mature that gets them! :(

I hope they will do enough better in the new garden plots better soil that they will be left alone by those pesky old grasshoppers! :)

Evening all, I have never

Evening all,
I have never been able to grow Onions and garlic!!
Tody, I was in the garden all afternoon.. weeding (UGH)!!!! and did plant some perennials, and Marigolds. I cut back my 2 Butterfly Bushes and cleaned around some other pereenials. Tomorrow .. more weeding and planting more perennials. No veggie planting yet but SOON!

Deb

New Garden Plot

Congrats Larry on your new garden plot. Sounds like lots of fun in the future. :smile:

:D)

Keep up the good work Deb! :)

Thanks Bob!:)
I've got good feelings and high hopes for this new garden plot! :D

It has stayed dry enough that at least the grass plants left on top of the soil seem to have withered and died! :)

I bought some horse radish roots yesterday, they will go in the old garden plot, which I am thinking of planting fruit trees in-between my raised beds, and then they can give my herbs some shade, I've heard they like some shade! :D

I was thinking some Dwarf Apple, and some Pie Cherry's. :)

Other than my Black Cherry and the one I believe North Star Pie Cherry, I have only my Choke Cherry's and Native American Plum's for members of there family.

,,,And I'm still not sure how my Apple trees I planted last year are going to do! :(

They did good half the summer, but the grasshoppers kept them stripped them of their leaves, and even ate the tender new twigs! :(

,,,But they seem to one by one getting bud swell on them, so maybe, just maybe, they might survive! :quest:

Hi Larry

My goodness you put me to shame with all this planting and planning. But to get back to your belt problem. Are the drive wheels concave or convex. Also do the belts break through wear or does the weld come undone.The reason I ask is that over the years I have had the misfortune to have had quite a few belt driven machines and have frequently been able to cobble up belts from the most unlikely things.A good example was my 'Bodgers Lathe' that ran for about 3 years using an old cycle innertube as a belt. Whereas the proper belt broke after 8 months and would have cost £10 to replace.But the drive wheel was concave which made it easier.
Sussexman
Self satisfaction cannot be bought only earned.

Thanks Colin,,,

Concave.
They break through wear.
,,,But a few extra dollars spent on an extra good quality belt, and the problem seems to be solved!

RE: Self-Satisfaction

Colin, that's a good saying! Where's my pen and paper, I gotta write that down, it's a keeper.

P.S. "Keeper" is what I say when I catch fish and it was Opening Day for trout yesterday!!!!!!

Post new comment

Before posting, please review all comments. Due to the volume of questions, Almanac editors can respond only occasionally, as time allows. We also welcome tips from our wonderful Almanac community!

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.