Really Serious Growing In 2010

6 replies [Last post]
TxBob's picture

Well I bite the bullet today. Went to Credit Union and traded my car title for enough cash to buy a used truck (1989 Chev Silverado) a small 4WD tractor with shedder, roto-tiller and cultivator. Got the truck today with insurance so that is all set. Will pick up tractor in a couple weeks. I am really excited about growing veggies in 2010.
Got my seeds and seed starter mix from Harris Seed Co. today also. Will be expanding my greenhouse next week so I can start seeds in Nov/Dec. Oh Man do I have lots of work laid out for me.

Larrys Rock Garden's picture
RE: Serious,,,,2010

You'll love the Silverado, does it have a Vortec engine, or diesel?

Speaking of tractors, hopefully while my brother is home next month, that he will be able to get my dad's old tractor fixed for me to use!

All I have where I can use it at my place with my single point hitch tractor is a V-plow ditch digger, which works good for digging a trench for planting my trees. But I really need to have the other tractor to use the three point hitch to use my sub-soiler, plow, and landscape rake (to use as a rock rake) so I can get the soil worked up good enough to use my duck foot harrow on.

I plan on growing Atlantic Giant Pumpkins this year and to take a year off from my Hubbard Squash.

Happy Gardening!!

TxBob - sounds great!

Are you in Texas? How many acres do you have to garden with?

Larry- pumpkins sound fun to grow--you gonna sell them?

TxBob's picture
sounds great - reply

Yes - South Texas (Victoria).
Garden is 80' wd x 200' lg. with 40' wd x 50' lg. section to make an L shape. that is a total of 18,000 sq ft. there is 21000+ sq ft in half an acre so my garden is just under that.

RE: gonna sell Them?

Not sure, but hopefully yes, just have to see how they turn out!,,,They can grow up to I think 300 pounds.

sussexman's picture
Enormous Gardens

Ye gods you must own half of Texas TxBob, and how big is your's Larry. I reckon in comparison my patch is a postage stamp. Mind you I have trouble 'licking' that into shape.
Sussexman

My garden size,

My garden is only 20 feet by 30 feet, but I am planing starting a new spot around I think 100 feet long.

Post new comment

Before posting, please review all comments. Due to the volume of questions, Almanac editors can respond only occasionally, as time allows. We also welcome tips from our wonderful Almanac community!

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.