Buy the 2015 Old Farmer's Almanac!

Welcome...tell us about yourself

193 replies [Last post]

New to the gardening forum? Welcome! Whether you're a first time gardener or an old master, we hope that you'll have fun exchanging ideas, advice, and meeting others who like to get their hands dirty! Please post a quick note here and introduce yourself!

Home Garden

I have a suburban garden. I plant tomatoes, squash, peppers, okra, beans, cukes, eggplant, lettuce, chard, and a special vege each year. I rotate and use compost. This year I planted Heirloom tomatoes. Normally I do hybrids but wanted to see what everyone talks about. I had terrible luck with both the Heirloom tomatoes and my cukes. Both ended up with blight. So much work and so little results. The okra and beans were fine. The pattypan squash was nice and lettuce is good. Why did I have such bad luck with cukes and tomatoes? Too much rain in spring? BTW, I live in Bowie, Maryland, Zone 7.

I am in Zone 8 and I too have

I am in Zone 8 and I too have had trouble with the tomato blight with the exception of this yr and last. I now plant my tomatoes in straw bales and avoid the soil contamination that can cause blight and viruses. It has made a world of difference. I did have trouble with my cukes this year that were planted in the ground..they looked great to begin with but fizzled rather quickly after flowering- I got a grand total of 4 cukes from 2 plants. The leaves were eaten by a yellow looking bug along with some sort of blight. I know how you feel - frustrated when you put the time and effort and get so little back..aggravating to say the least, but there's always next yr! lol

planting tomatoes in straw

can you tell me how to plant them? thanks Toni

planting tomatoes in straw

It is easy. Place a square of wet newspaper(no colored) on the ground about 2ftx2ft, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of organic food on the paper, cover with about 3 inches of top soil, than 3 inches of straw, repeat with 3 inches topsoil, repeat with straw and finish with topsoil. water good, than spread to put the plant in. You will need to water more often as it does have a tendency to dry out at least here in west TN. Ruth Stout wrote a book in the 50's about gardening this way. there is a book called lasagne gardening that goes in depth on this type of planting. you can use leaves in place of straw with equally good results. Hope this helps. GOD BLESS! Gloria

the bug that ate your cuke leaves

I believe the bug that ate your cuke leaves may have been a cucumber beetle. they are yellowish green with stripes. I would recommend getting a Rodale Organic garden book from your library to check what type of insect it was for sure. there are organic methods that will help prevent blight. hope this helps GOD BLESS1

YB
Zone 5

I got blighted as well.... seems most people in my area got hit in one form or another, Western PA

Herb Garden

I have started a small herb garden and have noticed something is eating some of the leaves on my sage and basil. I could use some suggestions since I'm a novice at gardening of any sort.

Got Cats?

My cats love to nibble. Are yours out in the ground or in container? Did you flip the leaves over to find catepillars or bugs? Where are you located?

Insects

Hi cefi,
You can tell what kind of insect ate your sage by looking at the shape of the holes and extent of damage. If the whole leaf and adjacent stem is gone, caterpillars plague your garden. If there are oblong, oval-shaped holes in the leaves, you have beetles. Try to identify the beetles. Worse case, you might have Japanese beetles, a rather invasive species. These beetles have green heads and brown bodies. If the plant is gone (stems, leaves, everything), then you have slugs and/or snails. If I am remembering this correctly, you can attract slugs and snails with beer, then you can kill them with salt. On the other hand, it's probably best that you seek a non-aggressive means of defending your garden. Good luck!

hi from sunny sussex

This is sussexman, I came on the old site by accident when a friend in US of A sent me a caledar. I have learnt a wealth of knowledge in a short time about the odd names you have for things. I grow:- runner beans(stick beans to you) carrots, beetroot, radishes and weeds. The latter I really excell. I live in a little village about 5 miles from Battle. On your zoning system I think it would be about 125. I am still trying to get photos on but have an awful feeling that I will never have the chance now.
Dig a little
Dream a lot

excelling at weed growing

I also excel at growing weeds ha!ha! welcome, I am also a newcomer!

Hello from Arecibo,Puerto Rico

Im new to the gardening scene but i quite love it. I have my plants in containers and out in the yard.Growing now is butternutsquash, melons, bush beans, corn but died, i have a big max too, upstairs in my terrace i have beets, lettuce, honeydew and cantaloupe, okra,lettuce. My tomatoes were eaten by grasshopers so i took them inside now there starting to survive again after i sprayed them with the special soap for that.Herbs i have rosemary, dill, chives, green onions too. Im so excited to see if i can finally get to germinate my blueberry seeds and raspberry seeds. I dont know why they havent grown. I would like strawberries too....Here in Puerto rico it depends on the day, sometimes is hot others is breezy. I live on the 2nd story so is fresshhh and u get the smell of the ocean.Have big plans with my garden and most help and contribute to the earth and my pocket having fruits and veggies in hand.

Growing rasberry seeds?

Johanna, you may find that the seeds need a bit of frost. Stick them in the freezer for a week then try planting them. I kid you not. Also if you grow in containers and want to keep vsiting bugs at bay from crawling up the sides try putting Vaseline round the rim. It works over here in Sunny Sussex on slugs. Hope this is of use to you.
Never forget time started in God's garden, so you are in good company
Sussexman

Welcome!

Welcome Johanna!

Sounds like you must have even worse Grasshopper troubles than me, or maybe sickly tomatoes?,,,Or perhaps the species of Grasshoppers you have there have different tastes than mine, I have had a sever case of grasshoppers each of the four summers I have been here so far, and I have only had minimal damage to my tomatoes.

YB
Welcome Johanna

sounds like your well on your way..

Introduction letter

Hello my name is Virgil from ohio, Im just getting started in composting,, and have a few evergreen trees and shrubs,, my question is do I mix evergreen/pineneedles in my compost pile, or seperate?

composting

I have been composting for over a year, i do not mix my pine needles in as they take a long time to break down, but they do make a great mulch, just be sure what you mulch them around can stand acid as they are acidic. I would recommend getting a rodale organic gardening book from your local library, there books are a big help to learn about composting. that is the book I learned from and have excellent black gold. GOD BLESS!

Greetings from Boston!

Hello All!
I am Fred aka Frekky. After about 3 years working overseas (luxembourg, sydney, & edinburgh) I am returned to the area I grew up in. I live on the edge of Boston and the suburbs. As it's a bit late in the season to do much work I am in the planning phase of a 16 foot by 25 foot plot at a community garden for next year. I take control of the plot officially on March 15. Currently I am looking into what veggies and herbs I'd like to grow.I'll keep the masses informed here!

I look forward to reading/interacting with everyone.
~F

community garden

HI frekky! i am a newcomer her and so glad to hear of your Tremendous endeavor! GOD BLESS you for what you are doing!

Welcome Virgil & Frekky

Welcome to the TOFA forums, hope you enjoy exploring the website, and I look forward to conversations!

:)

Hello to all!

I'm not an experienced gardener, but I wish to grow a small garden (if one may call it that) using plants from my backyard (weeds mainly). I am reading up on techniques for general gardening, but I find that the only books I have do not specifically discuss the plants I have available. So far, I have identified, observed, and taken practical notes on these plants I found in my backyard: common/great plantain, chickweed, purple clover, common prickly ash (a rather interesting, thorny woody plant), wild/wood/common violet, prostrate knotweed, and what I believe to be strawberry. I am experimenting with growing them differently at different times (e.g., I found that I could transplant knotweed indoors quite easily in the winter with only water and a freshly cut and stripped rhizome). I have compounded one of my favorite pursuits, astronomy, with my gardening, and am compiling a horticultural reference of my own. Still, I am inexperienced with gardening in general, as I have learned time and time again. Currently, I am trying to learn to recognize good soil and bad soil, drying techniques for very small herbs (like chickweed), propagation techniques and how to tell what plants they will work for, individual plant traits, plant diseases, evaluating a plant's health and growth rate, keeping good records, and general gardening information. Glad to be here.

Hello again!

I'm still taking on the never ending job of learning how to be a gardener one day at a time!:)

Brand new to this!

Hello - I live in SW Ohio and 2010 will be the year I finally put out a garden! Our goals are to grow many of our own vegetables and herbs. I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

Happy New Year

Welcome Brian

Nice to have you on the gardening forum. I am from South Texas and also new to this. I really like it. There are a lot of good people on this forum that have some real good advice on gardening.

Look forward to seeing your comments in the future - Good Luck in your garden and have a Happy New Year!

Bob

EL
Straw Bales

Lantanalane, how did you set up your bale garden? Do the bales retain moisture very well? I was thinking of maybe trying that method with strawberry plants.

New Again

It has been along time since I have been to this forum or the Farmers Almanac page itself I have moved and had computer issues and things since then I love to Garden Bake Cook from Scratch everything I have my Kids( pets ) 3 dogs and 4 kitties I should be saying we my other half is a carpenter/forman and we live in small town N.D the very southern tip to be more exact Hankinson and we have a large amount of snow here and were getting into our flooding times which everyone is extremely worried about in the coming spring especially Fargo N.D they are predicting it to be worse than last year we live about 58 miles south of there but we have the wild rice river to worry about amongs others here in our valley hoping this post finds everyone happy and healthy great to be back on line again

YB
Welcome back Barb..

Welcome back!

Good luck with that flooding!

Flooding

I think we are going to need more than luck this time altho we are getting prepared earlier this time last year it went to 40 feet and they think this year may be worse this area alone has gotten 69.7 inches of snow on top of all the rain we had just before the freeze we are starting sandbags next week moorhead is calling for 300,000 of them and that is a little area I don't know if you saw any of the footage from last year but it was bad I guess what needs to happen right now are alot of prayers

how to care for amaryllis

I've had planted in my garden for two years and do not know how to care for them, watering, feeding, ect. They have remained in the grownd all this time. The first year they produced lots of lovely blooms, but did not produce much this past year. What am I doing wrong. Can any one give me some sound advice. mariannem55@sbcglobal.net

tomato blight

Last year I had beautiful tomatoes until I got the blight. I talked to a gal from Cornell Univ ag dept and was told that I could harvest and set the green tomatoes out to ripen. Cut out the bad parts and eat/freeze the rest. She said that everything the blighted plants touched had to be disinfected with a clorox and water solution. I think it was one cup to one gal of water.That means all the stakes,cages,fencing,pruners,clippers,
trowels, gloves,etc.-everything!
The one question I didn't ask... I grew some heirloom/heritage seeds from an Amish pink tomato which also got the blight. I saved the seeds from those tomatoes. Can I grow tomatoes from those seeds? Do the seeds carry the blight? I know the leaves and stems do. BTW -Do not compost or till into the garden those contaminated leaves or stems or you will just spread the problem.
Susan

RE: Amaryllis and Tomato Blight

These are really good questions ... and I have a suggestion.

Perhaps you might get answers you need by clicking on the gray button for "New Topic" on this forum's main page, so that more people will see it and may have answers for you both :)

(getting used to new forums can be funky, but it just takes a second)

Hi I am new to this newsletter and I love it! I garden organically consider myself between beginner to intermediate,I have read so much, have finally gotten my clay ground workable thanks to lots of vegetable scraps and compost. I have had good luck with my plants and am able to control the insects for the most part. I have one MAJOR problem - Squash Bugs and Squash vine borers! i have planted nasturiums with my squash plants and the squash bugs don't even seem to mind. I hand pick them and remove the eggs, but they still manage to ruin my plants. I really don't want to resort to chemicals as I have so many honey bees and they are all ready in danger. I live in west TN if that helps. I SURE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY IDEAS ANYONE CAN GIVE ME. Thanks ever so much! Gloria

YB
Welcome to the forums Gloria

You need to start a new post and ask this question, you will be sure to get more answers that way.

Hello! New to this

Hello everyone. My name is Tina and I live in Canada. I have had very little experience gardening. Mainly because of living in an apartments with no actual yard of my own. The experience I have had in the past is mainly indoor planting with store bought plants. This year I have moved to a home and have a small yard. I am looking into starting some of my own seeds as well as using some store bought blooms. Any tips from people with more experience would be appreciated. One problem I do seem to have is that my cat's enjoy eating most of my plants so any pet friendly tips would be great! Thanks I look forward to gardening this year!

YB
Welcome to the forums Tina

Type in a new topic for whatever subject you need help with and we will walk you through as best we can :)

out of practice gardener

Hi. I ordered potato seedlings to plant and they arrived this past week. I wasn't expecting the weather to take a turn for the wet, nor had I anticipated not being able to get into the garden or them actually arriving so quickly. I cut them half, they had "eyes" all over. But they hadn't sprouted yet. They are sitting on a cookie sheet on my washer, under a "growing light". It's calling for 60* temps the end of this next week, but I'm worried that I may have ruined them. Any suggestions? How long can they keep before I get them in the ground? I will put them into containers if anyone thinks this would be better than waiting another week. HELP?! Please

transplanting

When is a good time in March to transplant evergreen bush/trees. Thanks

Hello to the forum

From the Great North West on the Peninsula that is. I have an Acre to garden on minus the house area. I was down in Missouri for the last three growing seasons but back to my gardens here that were not tended at all but mother nature ... yes a lot of take overs happened. Since its Washington I have all the berrie shoots to deal with. That I have in some parts gotten rid of the back year gardens. Thankful the raspberries took off and strawberries rhubarb and chives still thrive. I the see mints popping up here and there. Good so far! I am wondering about my lupines I had and why I did not see any shoots when I came back in Aug? I be will replanting them. What should I do to ensure that I get a good harvest of corn and carrots? I have a north facing hill that the sun does hit in the summer time. I love the way my tomatoes grow over ten feet tall even when I pinch em must be the used sawdust that I get from the local equine centers. looking to working in our Churches new garden that the ladies are starting this year. Loads of work to be done...any help is surely appreciated.
Sister Nora Smith

indoor apartment vegetable gardening

I am a Disabled vet. that must be as active as possible. so since my wife like gardening and i like vegetables and we both like saving money, we decided to grow an indoor garden. we are novice and we have started with Bell peppers, yellow, green,red,orange. what i have read to do is 1.At least 6hrs of continuous sun.2.At least 1inch.of water a week.(3. well drained soil. IF there is any other advice please let me know. otupper01@comcast.net

RE: Disabled Vet. That must,,,,

I'm in the same situation,,,,mines a mental disability, but has held me back physically much, but little by little, keeping active has helped me! I wish you luck and offer you a prayer! I have been in constant struggles with getting my mind back functional, and trying to get back in shape after being put on medication that made me gain lots of weight at the same time I was practically locked away!

:-) warm regards

I bet you will be able to do wonders you are so far

YB
Welcome to the forums

Nora and Albert.
Norm, try reposting your message in its own topic, this will get you more answers.

Albert, Thank you for your service.
Some compost, a little Epson Salts and a few stick matches for sulfur should do your plants good.

TOFA's long lost friend aka FawnVT

is back from hibernation :)since now spring is here! lol No need to explain, but here Im looking forward to share and learn about gardening with you all again. I live in Vermont, green thumb, mother of 3 grown up kids and working full time as a counselor so to make it short, Im very busy but never too busy for gardening :D Hurry comes spring..cya again soon!

YB
Welcome back Fawn..

..or is it Patricia... naaa, I like Fawn lol..

lol oh you wanted me to

lol oh you wanted me to change it back to Fawn? :)

Back to Old Fawn :)

Is that better, YB? lol ;)

Sweet Peas, Snowpod peas and Shelled peas

Poked and planted them today, not in the ground but in cowpots as the grounds were too hard! Anybody planted some? If not, its best time to plant them now :)

YB
Still silly as always I see..

(No subject)

:bigsmile:

Post new comment

Before posting, please review all comments. Due to the volume of questions, Almanac editors can respond only occasionally, as time allows. We also welcome tips from our wonderful Almanac community!

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

2015 Garden Calendar2015 Weather Watcher's Calendar2015 Recipes Calendar2015 Engagement Calendar 2015 Everyday Calendar2015 Country CalendarNew Year Cross StitchLobster Rope Doormats