I used to make a recipe called Bubble and Squeak that came from your Almanac. At least I have it noted in my recipe notes that I got it there. It was made with pork chops, cabbage and potatoes. We loved it and I have been searching for it for years. Please Help!
Until the Almanac folks get to you, here's a British version -- there are alot of versions out there.
Just a note, but after St. Patrick's Day and a dinner of corned beef, cabbage, potatos and other veges like carrots, I make Red Flannel Hash, which follows Bubble'n'Squeak very closely!
Bubble and Squeak as seen here in this Bubble and Squeak recipe is the name for fried left-over vegetables from Sunday Lunch. Traditionally it would be eaten on a Monday for lunch or dinner with a fried egg, bacon, or meat leftovers. There is no specific recipe it is simply a way of using up whatever you have left from dinner. One main component is mashed potatoes which is the glue holding all the other vegetables together and often, but not always cabbage.
Bubble and Squeak is also known as Bubble or Fry. In Ireland Colcannon is made from mashed potatoes, cabbage or Kale and onion and similar to Bubble and Squeak as is Rumbledethumps in Scotland.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
* 4 tbsp butter
* ½ cup onion, finely chopped
* Leftover mashed potato
* Any leftover vegetables, cabbage, swede (potato), carrots, peas, Brussels Sprouts, finely chopped
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Fried bacon pieces (optional)
* In a large frying pan melt the butter, add the chopped onion and fry gently for 3 mins or until soft.
* Turn the heat up slightly and add the mashed potato and vegetables. Fry for 10 mins turning over in the melted butter two or three times ensuring the potato and vegetables are thoroughly reheated.
* Press the potato mixture on to the base of the pan with a spatula and leave to cook for 1 min. Flip over and repeat.
An alternative is to mix the potato and vegetables and form into small patties then fry as above.
Bubble and squeak makes a lovely lunch with a fried egg on top.
The 2 sisters with a cooking show from England made Bubble and Squeek.
i'd like to try this recipe of yours. i hope everything will go well.