MY OFFICIAL & FINAL WINTER 2010 OUTLOOK!

14 replies [Last post]

Presenting, MY OFFICIAL & FINAL WINTER 2010 OUTLOOK!

-General Conditions (Temps/Precip Map Combined):

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/Inutoishi/Winter2010USGeneralConditionsMap.jpg

-Percent of Normal Snowfall:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/Inutoishi/Winter2010PercentofNormalSnowfallOu.jpg

-Most Common Storm Tracks:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/Inutoishi/Winter2010USStormTracks.jpg

-Experimental DJF 500mb Forecast:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/Inutoishi/ExperimentalDJF500mbMap.jpg

WINTER 2010 TEXT FORECAST

NORTHEAST & M/A:

-Temperatures: I expect temperatures to be slightly to much below normal across the region with the coldest periods in January and February and then another shorter cold spell in March.
-Precipitation: I expect stormier than normal conditions across the region. The southeast ridge will be non-existent and with an active southern branch and the GOM continuing its relentless pattern of flooding the South and The East Coast with saturated air I expect a very wet winter. Snowfall will generally be above average with coastal areas of VA, MD, DE, and NJ at risk or an ice storm. I expect areas across the region to end up with 110-125% of their normal snowfall closer to the lakes and 125-150% elsewhere.

SOUTHEAST AND PLAINS:

-Temperatures: I expect below average temperatures in the southeast and chilly conditions throughout the plains. As you head further north I expect things to warm slightly with cool but not cold conditions.
-Precipitation: I expect a semi-wet winter in this region. 110-125% of normal snowfall can be expected in the southern and central areas while further north 90-100% of normal snowfall can be expected. The Gulf Coast and coastal areas of SC, and NC are at risk of ice storms as well.

SOUTHWEST, PNW, and Upper MW:

-Temperatures: I expect chilly temperatures in the southern regions with milder temps the further north you go and colder temps closer to the GL's.
-Precipitation: Things should be semi-wet in the southern areas but should dry out substantially in the north. Definitely not as snowy as last winter. Areas in the south and central sections are expected to see 70-90% of normal snowfall with areas in the North seeing 75% or lower.

WINTER 2010 FORECAST SUMMARY:

-I expect a weak to BARELY moderate El Nino that will fade.
-I expect the main chunk of winter action to occur in January and February.
-I don't expect the sun to ramp up much.
-I expect a +PNA and a variable neutral to -NAO to dominate the winter.
-I expect an active southern branch of the Jet Stream with a lot of moisture in the south coming in from the GOM.
-Plenty of CAD
-Some overrunning events.
-Quick Autumnal recovery of the Cryosphere.
-Less LES but still enough to bring some areas their average snowfall.
-Mild and dry in the Northwest corner of the country.
-Severe Ice Storms possible in some areas.
-SECS/MECS potential.[/color]

Enjoy and Comments and Suggestions are appreciated! :)

Snowman5678's picture
Great Outlook

thats a Great outlook!!!

POsting Pictures

Your outlook is very similar to mine,FINALLY, SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME, lol. Thats truly a first.

in what category does the mid

in what category does the mid atlantic fall into

The Mid-Atlantic is VA, MD,

The Mid-Atlantic is VA, MD, DE, and NJ

great maps

How do you make your maps??? I'd love to learn:)

Snowman5678's picture
ME TOO

ME TOO they are great i would like to learn were u get the info to make the Outlooks too from you Wjp and Grandfatherwinter

Like I said on FA's forums. I

Like I said on FA's forums. I use PAINT.net.

I just found that map uploaded it onto the PAINT.net system and edit it from there.

Snowman5678's picture
ohh

ohhh okay all try it

Great Forecast

Great forecast GrandfatherWinter! We'll see how it goes. I'm not doing a winter outlook this year since my computer crashed and I lost all of my data. Best of luck to you and Wjp.

Snowman5678's picture
Data

Where do you get the data andy and everybody

Here you go

Try this site: http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/data/usclimdivs/

Snowman5678's picture
ok

okay i am starting to make maps on winter outlook but really basic how do i put them on the forum

Comparing to last years weather,

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA and last year's winter felt pretty relentless with snow and ice storms over and over. Driving conditions were more dangerous than any other year that I could remember since snow would never let up long enough to clear roads -- How will this year compare to last years? Are we expecting about the same as last year or something worse? Thanks in advance!

Post new comment

Before posting, please review all comments. Due to the volume of questions, Almanac editors can respond only occasionally, as time allows. We also welcome tips from our wonderful Almanac community!

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.