Buy the 2015 Old Farmer's Almanac!

Winter Outlook 2010-2011 From firsthandweather.com

1 reply [Last post]

This is from firsthandweather.com. Be sure to go to firsthandweather.com/winteroutlook to see the Winter Outlook 2010-2011 map and video.

We are currently going into a moderate to strong La Niña, and I expect this to last into at least the winter of 2011-2012. La Niña winters are much harder to predict as the storm track can shift throughout the winter. The predominant jet stream will draw a fine line to where the brutally cold temperatures are and the milder temperatures are. This winter will bring cold and snowy weather to portions of the north and mild and warm more South. Overall, December will be the coldest for many of the regions that will moderate in January and the first part of February. February could bring one last punch of winter’s fury before we quickly roll into spring temperatures in March. The northern Plains and Great Lakes region will be consistently cold throughout the entire winter while the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast will fluctuate between below average temperatures and above average temperatures. The Southwest and Southeast will experience dryer conditions which will eventually lead to drought conditions during the summer months of 2011. Most winter events that occur in the Southeast this winter will be ice or rain. They will see very little snow this winter. This winter will definitely bring different types of weather all over the country.

Pacific Northwest: This region will experience below average temperatures for most of the winter. Avalanches will be a major issue especially once we move into February and March. The main storm track will be over this area with very cold temperatures at times. Flooding in the valleys will be a problem while there will be well-above normal amounts of snow in the mountains. I do expect snow levels to be lower in elevation than they usually are. Places such as Seattle, Washington will definitely see more snow this year than in average snowfall years.

Southeast: Although I am expecting the Southeast to see a warmer than average winter overall, I do expect this region to see colder/cooler temperatures in the month of December. I think it is very possible that the Southeast could see an ice storm in the month of December also. January and February will be mild overall with most of this region getting very little or no snowfall. Most snowfall will be confined to the Appalachian Mountains with ice in the non-mountainous regions. It is very probable that we could see an Arctic outbreak that could push its way all the way into this region, but it will not be nearly as harsh this winter. Severe weather could be a problem this winter also.

Southwest: A large portion of the Southwest could go into an extreme drought because of the lack of rainfall that will be taking place. You will not see much in the way of any precipitation, and that will hurt this region considering most of their rainfall comes in the winter months. Temperatures will mostly be above normal throughout the entire winter. You will not be affected by the storm track as it will be well to your north.

Midwest: This Midwest will see cold temperatures for a large portion of the winter, but things could moderate slightly in January.. This region will see some fluctuation in temperatures as the jet stream dips then moves back northward. I do expect this region to see above normal snowfall.

Mid-Atlantic: The snowfall for this winter in the Mid-Atlantic will be considerably less than last year. That’s not say that this region will not see snow. I think this region will flip flop with temperatures throughout the winter. I think you will definitely be colder than average in December, but things will be pretty close to normal or above normal for you most of January and some of February. This region could see a big snowstorm in the month of February and could also see colder temperatures in the month of February than January.

Northeast: This region will fluctuate some with their temperatures but will generally have below average temperatures. This region will be very cold during the entire month of December but will moderate some in January. Snowfall will be normal or slightly above normal. Some areas will get some good snowfall, but it will be nothing like last winter.

Northern Plains and Great Lake Regions: This winter for these two regions will be brutally cold with above normal snowfall. You will definitely feel those Arctic temperatures in this region with very little break from the cold. I expect the very cold temperatures to be consistent throughout the winter with possible record cold in some places during the coldest of the winter.

Post new comment

Before posting, please review all comments. Due to the volume of questions, Almanac editors can respond only occasionally, as time allows. We also welcome tips from our wonderful Almanac community!

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Shop Wind Bells in the Almanac General Store