The following supplies kept in your emergency supply kit will serve you well if an adverse situation arises.
Have these items prepared in portable bags, such as duffels or backpacks, and store them in an easily accessible place. If evacuation is necessary, be sure to follow the directions of local authorities.
Keep on hand a three day supply of water. You should have one gallon of water for each person, per day. To ensure safe drinking water, it is recommended to buy commercially bottled water.
You should have a three day supply of non-perishable food, including ready to eat canned goods. Try to choose high energy foods, as well as items that will not make you thirsty. Be sure to have a manual can opener on hand. Prepare for any special dietary needs of your family.
Health and Safety Supplies
- First Aid Kit , including non-prescription medication.
- Be sure to keep on hand extra prescription medication, and any other special medical or sanitary needs, such as extra diapers and formula for babies.
Be sure to plan accordingly for the climate you live in. Include at least one complete change of clothing for each person.
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Matches in waterproof container
- Paper and pencil
- Signal flare
- Extra cell phone battery
Keep these records in a waterproof, portable container.
- Will, insurance policies, contracts, deeds, stocks and bonds
- Photo IDs, passports, social security cards, immunization records
- Bank account numbers
- Credit card account numbers and companies
- Inventory of valuable household goods, important telephone numbers
- Family records (birth, marriage, death certificates)
- Photocopies of credit and identification cards