Yield: Serves 6 to 8.
Rice Recipe Contest - Third Prize Winner
- 1 box long grain or wild rice mix with herbs
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (or Vidalia onion)
- 3/4 cup raspberry walnut vinaigrette
- 1 cup mandarin orange slices, drained
Prepare the rice according to the package directions. While the rice is cooking, heat the oven to 325 degrees F, place the walnuts on a cookie sheet, and toast them in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring once or twice to toast evenly. When the rice is cooked, place it into a large bowl and toss it to fluff. Add the cranberries, peppers, onions, and vinaigrette and toss well. Set aside for 1 hour at room temperature to let the flavors blend and the rice absorb the juices. Just before serving, adjust the flavor, adding more vinaigrette if necessary. Add the oranges and walnuts, saving a few to garnish the top, and toss to mix.
-Fran Drummond, Gray, Georgia
Please review this recipe below!