More than 200 Easy Ideas and Projects for Attracting and Feeding Your Favorite Birds!
One of the joys of spending time in the backyard is observing birds. This acorns-to-wrens guide helps readers create a backyard that is right for them and right for their local birds. The book targets all skill levels, offering new birders plenty of basics while intriguing longtime bird watchers with new ideas. In this bird watching book readers will learn:
- Which birdhouses are a smart buy and which ones to leave on the shelf
- How to choose a birdseed mix to attract colorful songbirds—rather than pesky crows
- Why easy homemade suet blocks are irresistible to hungry birds in every season
- How to offer shelter to species dealing with disappearing natural habitats
Along with the ins and outs of feeding, behavior, nesting, and gardening advice, each of the 200-plus entries is sprinkled with super-simple step-by-step projects, bird treat recipes, and planting ideas, along with plenty of fascinating bird lore and Roth’s own observations on bird behavior.
A comprehensive A to Z handbook for the foods and feeders, plants and projects that will guarantee a bird–friendly backyard. Discover the best ideas for attracting and providing for the birds you already know and love and the easiest ways to welcome the new birds that are showing up in your backyard and at your feeder. In the face of habitat loss, climate changes, an other natural challenges, your backyard and its bird-friendly features play a part in helping songbirds thrive.
From tried–and–true seeds and the newest soft foods and insect treats to seasonal patterns and shifts in bird behavior, The Backyard Bird Lover's Ultimate How–to To Guide offers new bird watchers plenty of basics while intriguing long time birders with fresh ideas. In addition to the ins and outs of feeding, housing, nesting, and gardening, the A to Z entries are sprinkled with super–simple projects, bird treat recipes, and planting ideas, and plenty of fascinating bird lore and observations on bird behavior. You'll learn:
- Why timing is vital when you put out oranges and jelly for orioles
- How suet, bird dough, and other soft foods can double the number of species at your feeder–even in summer!
- Why water can be just as big a draw as your feeder and how it can bring you more species of birds
- Which berries will draw migrating birds in fall and why they have such huge appeal
- Which flowers attract hummingbirds and bloom for months on end
- What to plant to increase your chances of attracting nesting birds
- Plus, hundreds of do–it–yourself ideas to entice birds to your backyard!
About The Backyard Bird Lover's Ultimate How-to Guide Author
Sally Roth is author of many books on gardening and birding. A lifelong gardener, naturalist, and sought-after public speaker, she lives in New Harmony, IN.
Paperback, 320 pages.