With just 3 tablespoons of sesame oil instead of mayonnaise, this is a much healthier take on coleslaw. Scallions, rice vinegar, and sesame seeds give it an Asian accent, while cucumber lends a cooling note. Admittedly, the sesame products aren't local, but chef Anne Obelnicki allows herself some imported ingredients for variety's sake.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Start to Finish Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 large (or 1 whole small) Napa cabbage, washed and cut into thin strips across the leaf
- 1 large (or 2 small) cucumbers, washed, peeled (optional), and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 4 scallions, sliced thinly crosswise
- Asian Cabbage Slaw Dressing (see accompanying recipe)
Mix all vegetables in a large bowl. Toss with dressing (recipe below), and set aside to wilt at least a half-hour before serving.
Asian Cabbage Slaw Dressing:
- 1/2 cup brown rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
In a medium-size bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Yield: about 3/4 cup dressing
Please review this recipe below!