I have done this for 20 yrs. had everyone wanting more of my Jerky. It's the best around & cheaper than store-bought. Enjoy!
Things you will need:
- Clean 5-gallon bucket w/lid
- Electric meat slicer or sharp knife
- 100 wooden skewers
- Oven or large smoker
- Aluminum foil if using oven
Marinade time 1
Start to Finish Time:
Depends. 15 to
4 tablespoons garlic powder
4 tablespooons Wrights hickory-flavored smoke "Liquid"
1 cup of table salt
1/4 cup black pepper
One 8-ounce bottle teriyaki sauce
4 tablespoons onion powder
For spicy jerky: use 5 tablespoons dried cayenne pepper
- Slightly freeze meat (makes slicing easier).
- Put all sliced meat in 5 gallon and fill ¾ full with meat. Slices should be right at ¼-inch thick and as long & wide as you like!
- Mix all ingredients w/large spoon.
- Cover meat in bucket with enough water so that the meat us just covered and no meat is standing above water. I set a plate on top of the meat.
- Sit in fridge for 12 to 24 hours to marinate.
- After it has set for a time and it's cool, take meat strips and put on skewers spaced ½-inch apart.
- Place meat & skewers on rack.
- If using oven, place foil on bottom shelf to catch drippings. Crack oven door open 1 to 2 inches around 130 to let moisture escape.
- If using smoker open door 1 to 2 inches around 130. Use bag of briquettes and Apple wood -Hickory-or wild cherry wood must be green wood.”Not dry wood”. I use 1 type of either wood. All you need is 5 lbs. of split wood.
- Check every 1 hour till done should take about 2 to 4 hours depending on temperature of oven or smoker. You do not want meat crispy.