These fajitas are made a little different than your restaurant style fajitas. The meat is chicken of course, but there are no green peppers, onions and mushrooms sautéed. They are more like soft shelled chicken taco's. You can add green peppers for topping or mushrooms too.
Yield: serves 4 people
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Start to Finish Time: 1.5 hours
- 1 package skinless and boneless chicken breast, you can use dark meat
- 1 cup red tomato, diced, for topping
- 1 cup black olives, diced, for topping
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced, for topping
- 1 to 2 cups shredded lettuce, for topping
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese of your choice, for topping
- 1 16-ounce package sour cream, for topping
- taco sauce or salsa, for topping
- 1-2 avocado, sliced, for topping
- flour fajita shells, large or small, your preference
- 1 can refried beans, for bottom
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilis, for topping
- 1 bottle "Gravy Master" brown gravy sauce (absolutely no other brand of brown gravy sauce will work)
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 stick butter to fry chicken in after marinated
Steam chicken until cooked, but not overcooked. Shred meat and separate bones if you use chicken with bone in. Mix 1 cup corn syrup with 3 tablespoons Gravy Master brown gravy sauce and stir until they are blended. This next step is very important. You must taste the sauce mixture to be sure it is sweet enough, or has enough gravy taste. It should be a rich dark sweet flavor. You can adjust the flavor to your liking by adding more gravy sauce or more corn syrup. When you have the sauce ready, place cooked chicken in the sauce and let it marinate for 15 minutes. Make sure all the chicken is coated well with marinade. Heat large skillet and add butter. Then add chicken and fry until chicken is brown, and a little sticky. Do not fry all the chicken at one time. Make it in batches so it cooks and marinates well. Prepare fajita shells by taking them out of plastic bag and placing them on a plate. Cover with a moist/dampened towel and microwave on high for 4 minutes or until all shells are warm. Moist towel makes them very flexible! Heat refried beans in a bowl in microwave for 2 minutes or until warm. To prepare fajitas to eat: take warmed shell, smear refried beans on bottom of shell, add chicken, lettuce, tomato, avocado, salsa, black olives, onion, sour cream and shredded cheese. Roll it up and eat! You will experience a sweet rich chicken flavor like you have never tasted before! Enjoy!!
Please review this recipe below!