This festive cheesecake is the perfect dessert for celebrating any patriotic holiday!
1–1/2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 pint heavy cream
1/2 pint sour cream
About 1 pint small, ripe strawberries or raspberries
About 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Generously butter a round 8- to 9-inch springform or rectangular pan.
- In the large bowl of your electric mixer, or in a food processor, cream the softened cream cheese; gradually add the sugar and eggs, then the vanilla, flour, and heavy cream, and beat or blend just until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and set it on the middle rack in the oven.
Set a large roasting pan containing about an inch of hot water underneath the pan, on a lower rack.
Note: Both the low baking temperature and the steam from the pan of water will help prevent cracking. If a crack should form, it is no disaster; simply hide it with the sour cream.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the center of the cheesecake jiggles slightly when you shake the pan gently.
- Turn off the oven but leave the cake in it, letting the cake cool gradually (about 20 minutes), before refrigerating.
- When you're ready to serve it, spread the sour cream over the top and arrange the berries, either in rings or, for the Fourth of July, make stars and stripes.