Third Prize in the 2008 Ethnic Recipe Contest
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra, stems and ends removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 chipotle chiles from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from the can
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Heat the oil over high heat in a heavy, 4-quart pot. Add the chicken, stirring until it is seared on all sides. Add the onion, stirring until it starts to turn transparent. Turn the heat to medium. Add the okra, garlic, sugar, bouillon, tomatoes, chipotles, adobo sauce, and black beans. Stir. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 40 minutes. Continue to stir occasionally so that the beans don't burn on the bottom of the pot. Add the lime juice, stir, and serve alone or over rice.
-Kay Marie Porterfield, Littleton, Colorado
Please review this recipe below!