In the morning, does anything else sound better than bread, butter, and cinnamon sugar? These French Morning Muffins from the Comfort Food cookbook are irresistible any time of day!
French Morning Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
⅔ cup sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 large egg
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter, melted
• Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
• Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl, whisk to mix, and make a well.
• In a separate bowl, combine the egg, milk, butter, and vanilla and whisk to blend. Pour into the well and stir with a wooden spoon until evenly blended.
• Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cups.
• Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the pan 180 degrees and bake for 5 to 6 minutes more, or until golden and the muffins spring back when touched.
• Transfer to a cooling rack for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and place on the rack.
• Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
• Generously brush the top of each muffin with melted butter and dip it into the cinnamon sugar. Serve warm
Makes 12 muffins.