Temperatures are getting warmer. Time for a summer barbecue—or, pack up the cooler for a picnic. Here's a great grilled wraps recipe that we love—plus, a few more ideas. We welcome any of your tips below!
Grilled Caponata Wraps With Summer Vegetables
Link here for a printable recipe that you can also store in your Almanac Recipe Box.
5 to 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 yellow crookneck squashes, diced
2 summer squashes, diced
1 cup roasted red bell pepper strips
3 tablespoons capers
½ cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
⅓ cup dried cranberries
salt and pepper, to taste
2 packages (15 ounces each) spinach herb tortilla wraps
½ pound Gorgonzola cheese
½ cup roasted, shelled, and salted pumpkin seeds
• In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
• Add the eggplant and cook until brown.
• Remove the eggplant from the skillet and add 2 to 3 more tablespoons of olive oil, then the onion and squashes. Cook until soft. Add the red pepper strips, capers, olives, tomato sauce, oregano, vinegar, sugar, dried cranberries, and salt and pepper. Return the eggplant to the mixture and heat through. Set aside.
• Spoon about ½ cup of caponata into the center of each wrap, crumble Gorgonzola cheese on top, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
• Roll the wraps like a burrito (fold two sides inward, then roll one open side toward the other).
• Brush the flat sides with olive oil and place on a panini grill one or two at a time (depending on the size of your grill). Grill 2 to 3 minutes, or until grill marks show on the wrap.
• Remove, cut in half, and serve.
More Picnic and Outdoor Recipes
Find more great recipes in Cooking Fresh With The Old Farmer's Almanac. Here's a sampler of what's inside:
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- With only five ingredients, this salad is quick and easy to bring along.
Summer Salsa Salad
- If you like a little spice in your meals, try this Mexican favorite.
- Get your fruit and vegetables all in one scrumptious muffin! Easy for the little ones to munch on.
- Who doesn’t love to end a picnic with a little dessert?
- Pack a water bottle full of this refreshingly minty drink, and you’ll be ready for your next adventure of the day!
We at the Almanac hope that you take advantage of your next sunny day. See more great recipes from Cooking Fresh!