Daily Calendar for Tuesday, February 22, 2022
Question of the Day
I need a cleaning solution for the chimney on an old oil lamp. It is very cloudy and rough, like sandpaper.
Resist the temptation to use steel wool. It is an effective scourer, but it will leave scratches, especially on older glass. The easiest way is to pour a little kerosene on newspaper and wipe the chimney. (Be sure it is completely dry before lighting the lamp!) Another method is to put a few drops of rubbing alcohol on a wet rag and rub the chimney with the rag.
Advice of the Day
If you suffer backaches, empty your pockets, wear looser clothing, and don’t cross your legs.
Home Hint of the Day
Avoid rubbing a carpet stain; blot it instead. This keeps the stain from spreading.
Word of the Day
18 inches; derived from distance between elbow and tip of middle finger.
Puzzle of the Day
Why didn’t the dog want to go into the ark?
He had a bark (ship) of his own.
- Amerigo Vespucci (explorer) –
- Francisco I. Madero (Mexican President; was assassinated) –
- Ed Flanders (actor) –
- Jonas Savimbi (Angola’s rebel leader) –
- Chuck Jones (Warner Bros. animator, created Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck) –
- Dennis Johnson (basketball player) –
- George Washington (1st U.S. president) –
- Rembrandt Peale (artist) –
- Edna St. Vincent Millay (poet) –
- Edward Moore Teddy" Kennedy" (politician) –
- George Sparky" Anderson" (baseball manager) –
- Steve Irwin (herpetologist and host of The Crocodile Hunter) –
- Rachel Dratch (actress) –
- Drew Barrymore (actress) –
- Popcorn was first introduced to English colonists by Native Americans–
- Florida Purchase treaty signed–
- The F.W. Woolworth discount store chain started in Utica, New York–
- Ancient Egyptian obelisk that had been erected in Central Park was officially presented to New York City–
- A fist fight broke out on the Senate floor between Senator John McLaurin and Senator Ben Tillman–
- Calvin Coolidge delivered the first presidential radio broadcast speech from the White House–
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck near Zarand in Iran–
- 10-pound 14-ounce ‘aweoweo caught, Penguin Bank, O’ahu, Hawaii–
- A magnitude-6.3 earthquake struck Christchurch, New Zealand–
- Babe Ruth’s 1923 World Series pocket watch sold for $717,000 at auction–
- Baseball bat that belonged to Shoeless Joe Jackson sold for $958,000 at auction–
- The Susquehanna River ice bridge at Havre de Grace, Maryland, began to break up after 40 days of use–
- 11 inches of snow fell in Blue Lick, Missouri–