Daily Calendar for Friday, April 15, 2022
Question of the Day
What are some ways that people paid taxes in the past?
In biblical times, taxes were paid with herbs such as anise, and in medieval Europe, people used honey to pay their taxes.
Advice of the Day
To keep a cat at home, rub its paws with butter.
Home Hint of the Day
Every finish has a solvent. For liquid (as opposed to dried) varnish, it’s likely to be turpentine; for shellac, denatured alcohol; for lacquer, lacquer thinner.
Word of the Day
A number from 1 to 30 that indicates the Moon’s age on January 1 at Greenwich, England; used for determining the date of Easter.
Puzzle of the Day
What happens when it rains cats and dogs?
You have to be careful not to step in a poodle.
- Leonardo da Vinci (artist) –
- Bessie Smith (legendary blues singer) –
- Elizabeth Montgomery (actress) –
- Emma Thompson (actress) –
- Emma Watson (actress) –
- Abraham Lincoln (16th U.S. president) –
- Jean-Paul Sartre (writer & philosopher) –
- Greta Garbo (actress) –
- John Curry (figure skater) –
- Byron White (Supreme Court justice) –
- American School for the Deaf founded in Hartford, Connecticut–
- First state entomologist position approved, New York–
- President Lincoln called for 75,000 Union militia volunteers–
- Last day U.S. silver coins allowed to circulate in Canada–
- Canadian thanksgiving day held after Prince of Wales recovered from serious illness–
- General Electric Co. is incorporated–
- R.M.S. Titanic sank in early morning after striking iceberg on April 14th in late evening–
- First Canadian small penny coin released–
- Insulin became available for general use–
- After acquiring franchising rights from the McDonald brothers, Dick and Maurice, Ray Kroc opened his first McDonald’s chain restaurant in Des Plaines, Illinois–
- Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel opened, Virginia-Delmarva Peninsula–
- First national lottery drawing in Canada–
- Tornado in Alabama–
- Boulder, Colorado, received 76 inches of snow in 24 hours–
- Tornadoes strike Arkansas and Texas–