Daily Calendar for Sunday, May 29, 2022
Question of the Day
What do ducks do in the rain?
Ducks just love rain. They are quite happy to stay out in it, and they often preen their feathers and poke around in puddles. (The British refer to a rainy day as “a lovely day for ducks.”) They don’t even seem to mind snow or sleet, but they dislike cold and windy weather.
Advice of the Day
Try a paste of baking soda and witch hazel for poison ivy.
Home Hint of the Day
If you use masking tape to mask around woodwork, affix it on the day you are going to paint and remove it immediately after you finish. Dry masking tape can be hard to remove.
Word of the Day
The name is from the Sioux word meaning “sky-tinted water” or “cloudy water.”
Puzzle of the Day
What letter turns an animal into a covering?
C - ape
- Bartholomeu Dias (Portuguese discoverer of Cape of Good Hope) –
- Mary Pickford (actress) –
- Ramona Trinidad Iglesias Jordan (at age 114 years 272 days was recognized as the world’s oldest person, died after a bout with pneumonia) –
- Luc Bourdon (hockey player) –
- Harvey Korman (actor) –
- Gavin MacLeod (actor) –
- Patrick Henry (patriot) –
- Ebenezer Butterick (inventor) –
- Bob Hope (comedian) –
- John F. Kennedy (35th U.S. president) –
- Rupert Everett (actor) –
- Melissa Etheridge (musician) –
- Rhode Island ratified the United States Constitution. They were the last of the original 13 colonies to do so.–
- Rhode Island became the 13th U.S. state–
- Wisconsin became the 30th U.S. state–
- Canadian ocean liner Empress of Ireland sank in St. Lawrence River–
- Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay became the first men to reach the summit of Mt. Everest–
- U.S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of state blue laws prohibiting commercial activity on Sunday–
- Steve Fonyo, who lost one of his legs to cancer, completed a cross-Canada marathon for cancer research–
- Discovery became the first space shuttle to dock with the International Space Station–
- Hennie Van Andel-Schipper, who was born in the Netherlands, took the title of the oldest living woman in the world at the age of 113 years 335 days, following the death of Ramona Trinidad Iglesias Jordan aged 114 years 272 days–
- Great hailstorms in Kansas caused $6 million of crop damage–
- Dime-size hail was reported in Keene, New Hampshire–
- Great Falls, Montana, received 12 inches of snow–