Daily Calendar for Sunday, August 14, 2022
Question of the Day
How can I control the aphids on my lettuce?
In next year’s garden, consider planting rows of chives or garlic between your lettuce to control aphids. They act as “barrier plants” for the lettuce.Spray your lettuce with a cold spray from you hose. This will knock the bugs off the leaves. Repeat daily until all the aphids are gone.
Advice of the Day
Keep a thing for seven years, and you will find a use for it.
Home Hint of the Day
Refer to this for nail lengths. The letter d, the first letter of denarius (a Roman coin), stands for “penny.” A 2d equals 1 inch, 3d=1-1/4 inches, 4d=1-1/2 inches, 5d=1-3/4 inches, 6d=2 inches, 10d=3 inches, 20d=4 inches, and 40d=5inches.
Word of the Day
Period betweenthe last killing frost in spring and first killing frost in fall.
Puzzle of the Day
The Sunshine State.(Name the U.S. state!)
- Ernest Lawrence Thayer (poet) –
- Alice Ghostley (actress) –
- David Crosby (singer, songwriter) –
- Steve Martin (actor) –
- Danielle Steel (author) –
- Gary Larson (cartoonist, creator of The Far Side) –
- Earvin Magic" Johnson" (basketball player) –
- Susan Olsen (actress) –
- Halle Berry (actress) –
- Catherine Bell (actress) –
- Mila Kunis (actress) –
- Tim Tebow (football player) –
- Sarah Childress Polk (U.S. First Lady) –
- Alice Childress (playwright) –
- Bruno Kirby (actor) –
- Phil Rizzuto (baseball player & announcer) –
- Ron Palillo (actor) –
- Oregon Territory organized by Act of Congress–
- Oliver B. Shallenberger received patent for an electric meter–
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act–
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill signed an eight point agreement known as the Atlantic Charter–
- U.S. satellite Explorer VI transmitted the first picture of Earth from space–
- The biggest blackout in U.S. history, affecting some 50 million people, engulfed New York City, Albany, Hartford, Toronto, Ottawa, Detroit, Cleveland and Ontario–
- An estimated 65,000 fans attended Phish’s last concert–
- First Lady Laura Bush announced that Cristeta Comerford was hired to be executive chef at the White House—the first time that a woman has held the job–
- Aretha Franklin was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame–
- The temperature in Kansas City, Missouri, reached 113 degrees F–