Daily Calendar for Wednesday, October 26, 2022
Question of the Day
What is the weather proverb regarding crows and rain?
In the pages of our old Almanacs, we found this one: “Crow on the fence, rain will go hence. Crow on the ground, rain will come down.”
Advice of the Day
A good conscience is a soft pillow.
Home Hint of the Day
When building or remodeling a home, don’t install the floor until virtually everything else is done. Things that get dropped or spilled end up on the floor, and the constant moving of heavy saws and ladders can ding the floor. Use a protective covering once the floor is down.
Word of the Day
The difference in degrees between the celestial longitudes of a planet and the Sun. Greatest Elongation (Gr. Elong.): The greatest apparent distance of a planet from the Sun, as seen from Earth.
Puzzle of the Day
Why are two pints of strawberries after they are eaten like persons singing?
They are a quart-et (eaten).
- Charles William Post (manufacturer) –
- Benjamin Guggenheim (businessman) –
- Mahalia Jackson (singer) –
- Jackie Coogan (actor) –
- George Crum (ballet conductor) –
- Bob Hoskins (actor) –
- Pat Sajak (game show host, Wheel of Fortune) –
- Hillary Rodham Clinton (U.S. First Lady, Secretary of State) –
- Jaclyn Smith (actress) –
- Rita Wilson (actress) –
- Dylan McDermott (actor) –
- Keith Urban (singer) –
- Seth MacFarlane (animator) –
- Jon Heder (actor) –
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton (feminist) –
- Hattie McDaniel (actress) –
- Igor Sikorsky (helicopter pioneer) –
- Harold Rome (composer) –
- Erie Canal opened in New York State–
- Pony Express service ended–
- Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Tombstone, Arizona–
- President Harry Truman raised the minimum wage from 40 to 75 cents an hour–
- Garry Trudeau’s comic strip Doonesbury debuted–
- A 1,496-pound tuna was caught near Auld’s Cove, Nova Scotia–
- St. Elsewhere made its television debut–
- Wayne Gretzky became the first NHL player to score 2,000 goals–
- Michael Jackson received a patent for shoes that allow the wearer to lean far forward–
- At a Farmers Market in Windsor, California, a record-setting pumpkin pie, weighing 418 pounds, was served. (The record was beaten in 2010.)–
- Toronto’s Rob Krueger became the World Rock Paper Scissors champion–
- A 2,000-pound 8-foot-long cannon belonging to the infamous pirate Blackbeard was pulled from waters near Beaufort, North Carolina–
- New York City received 4 inches of snow–
- -10 degrees F in Bismarck, North Dakota–
- Bismarck, North Dakota, recorded its earliest below-zero reading, -10 degrees F–
- The temperature in Boston, Massachusetts, was 84 degrees F–
- Eight tornadoes struck Indiana–
- A powerful storm carved across the Midwest with hurricane-like conditions and more than a dozen tornadoes. Bigfork, Minnesota, recorded the storm’s lowest pressure. It bottomed out at 955 millibars, a new U.S. record.–