Daily Calendar for Friday, July 7, 2023
Question of the Day
When a recipe calls for superfine sugar, do I really have to use it?
Yes, it’s best to use superfine sugar, but if you’re like us and don’t want to buy such a seldom-used item, you can use granulated sugar instead. Just whir it in the food processor until it is finely ground, about two minutes. You’ll be able to feel the difference. Superfine sugar dissolves more rapidly than regular sugar in cold liquids, so it is useful for drinks such as lemonade and iced tea.
Advice of the Day
A warm heart requires a cool head.
Home Hint of the Day
Boiled linseed oil is a penetrating wood finish that is easy to apply (wipe on with a rag, then wipe off the excess), gives long-lasting protection, and adds tone to unstained wood. The drawbacks, however, are that it darkens with age and offers little resistance to alcohol, water, or mildew.
Word of the Day
Named to honor the first Roman emperor (and grandnephew of Julius Caesar), Augustus Caesar (63B.C.-A.D.14).
Puzzle of the Day
My first, if you do, you won’t hit it; my next, if you do, you won’t leave it; my whole, if you do, you won’t guess it.(What’s the word? Each clue is a syllable!)
- King Edward I of England –
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes author) –
- Vivien Leigh (actress) –
- Veronica Lake (actress) –
- Gustav Mahler (composer) –
- Leroy "Satchel" Paige (baseball player) –
- Robert A. Heinlein (sci-fi writer) –
- Pierre Cardin (fashion designer) –
- Ringo Starr (Beatles’ drummer) –
- Jorja Fox (actress) –
- Joe Sakic (hockey player) –
- Michelle Kwan (figure skater) –
- Kaci Brown (singer) –
- Hammerfest, Norway (known as northernmost town in world), granted town status–
- Cornerstone laid for first Catholic cathedral in the United States (Baltimore Basilica), in Baltimore, Maryland–
- Acting on instructions from Washington, D.C., Commodore John Drake Sloat ordered his troops to occupy Monterey and Yerba Buena thus beginning the United States annexation of California–
- Jim Thorpe won his first Olympic gold medal in the pentathlon–
- Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini became the first American saint to be canonized–
- First 6 enlisted women transferred from Naval Reserve to regular U.S. Navy–
- Roosevelt Campobello International Park created, New Brunswick–
- President Reagan nominated Sandra Day O’Connor to become a Supreme Court justice; she became the first female member of the Supreme Court–
- Solar-powered aircraft Solar Challenger flew 163 miles in 5 hours, 23 minutes.–
- A series of bombs exploded in London’s underground railway, as well as on top of a double-decker bus in a terrorist attack against the country–
- Olympic gymnast Simone Biles became the youngest person to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. –
- The thermometer touched 127 degrees F at Parker, Arizona–
- In a rare July snowstorm, Glacier National Park received ten inches of snow and had 90 mph winds, while Denver had a record high temperature of 101 degrees F–
- A record high temperature for this date of 81 degrees F hit Anchorage, Alaska–
- Two inches of snow fell in Utqiagvik (Barrow), Alaska–