Daily Calendar for Sunday, July 23, 2023
Question of the Day
My deck is looking aged. Do I have to treat it, or can I let it go natural?
A natural deck will ultimately turn gray as it absorbs ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun. You’ll probably be happier if you treat it. First, test to see if there is any residue from previous treatments in the wood by dripping some water on it on a dry day. If the water beads up, the previous treatment product is still in the wood. You must strip off any old finish, then treat the wood with a product that will keep out moisture.
Advice of the Day
A bad oyster, like a bad marriage, is not known until too late.
Home Hint of the Day
A dog’s coat is its natural protection against heat, sun, and insects. Don’t trim or shave the coat just because it’s summer.
Word of the Day
A nautical word, from the old Dutchword loef, meaning to the windward.
Puzzle of the Day
The (Blank) was waiting on the (Blank). (The two 5-letter words to fill the blanks share the same letters.)
1) horse 2) shore
- Ulysses S. Grant (18th U.S. president) –
- Sir William Ramsay (chemist & Nobel prize winner) –
- D. W. Griffith (film director) –
- Montgomery Clift (actor) –
- Edward V. Rickenbacker (WWI flying ace) –
- William Pierce (white supremacist whose book, The Turner Diaries, is believed to have inspired Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh) –
- Chaim Potok (author) –
- Ron Miller (songwriter; hits include Touch Me in the Morning and For Once in My Life) –
- Amy Winehouse (singer) –
- Sally Ride (astronaut; first American woman in space) –
- Raymond Thornton Chandler (author) –
- Don Drysdale (baseball player) –
- Philip Seymour Hoffman (actor) –
- Nomar Garciaparra (baseball player) –
- Daniel Radcliffe (actor) –
- America’s first swimming school opened by Francis Lieber in Boston, MA–
- The first practical typographer (typewriter) was patented by William Burt–
- Union Act passed by British Parliament, uniting Upper and Lower Canada into one government–
- Copyright for “America the Beautiful” by Katharine Lee Bates registered–
- Boeing 767 turned into glider after fuel ran out due to metric conversion error, Gimli, Manitoba–
- Vanessa Williams became the first Miss America to resign when she relinquished her crown–
- Disney’s Tarzan became the first all-digital film–
- George Lee “Sparky” Anderson inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame–
- In his weather diary, George Washington described a big storm that passed over his home in Mount Vernon, Virginia. Historians often refer to this storm as George Washington’s Hurricane.–
- Sheridan, Wyoming, got drenched by 4.41 inches of rain, which washed away some railroad tracks–
- Rain delayed Giants/Mets baseball game 3 hours 39 minutes–
- A hailstone broke through a deck in Vivian, South Dakota, during a severe thunderstorm. The hailstone weighed 1 pound 15 ounces and measured 8 inches in diameter, 18.6 inches in circumference. It was the heaviest and largest hailstone in diameter ever recovered in the U.S.–
- Several counties in Kansas reported baseball size hail–