Daily Calendar for Wednesday, July 26, 2023
Question of the Day
What kind of cherry tree can I get to cross-pollinate with my ‘Black Tartarian’ tree?
Your best choice would be a ‘Yellow Napoleon’ or ‘Red Windsor’ cherry tree. Your ‘Black Tartarian’ tree also is needed to pollinate many other varieties, such as ‘Lambert’, ‘Napoleon’, and ‘Bing’ cherries.
Advice of the Day
What can you expect of a pig but a grunt?
Home Hint of the Day
To remove dried-on beer stains from fabric, sponge on a solution of equal parts vinegar and dishwashing liquid, then rinse with warm water.
Word of the Day
A persistently annoying person.
Puzzle of the Day
With his (Blank), he killed three (Blank). (The two 5-letter words to fill the blanks share the same letters.)
1) saber 2) bears
- George Bernard Shaw (playwright) –
- Blake Edwards (director) –
- Jason Robards (actor) –
- Stanley Kubrick (director) –
- Sir Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger (singer) –
- Dorothy Hamill (Olympic gold medal figure skater) –
- Sandra Bullock (actress) –
- Jeremy Piven (actor) –
- Kate Beckinsale (actress) –
- Sam Houston (president of Texas, 1836-38; 1841-44) –
- Eva Peron (wife of Argentine President Juan Peron) –
- Benjamin Franklin became the first Postmaster General–
- New York ratified the Constitution and became the 11th state–
- Black Bart made his first stagecoach robbery in California–
- The Potsdam Declaration was issued by President Truman, Winston Churchill, and Chiang Kai-Shek, which outlined the terms of surrender for Japan–
- The SS Andrea Doria sunk near Nantucket Lightship, MA–
- First Moon rock samples analyzed, Lunar Receiving Laboratory, Houston, Texas–
- A federal grand jury indicted Robert T. Morris, Jr. for releasing a computer worm, making him the first person to be prosecuted under the 1986 Computer Fraud and Abuse Act–
- Jim Rice and Ricky Henderson were inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame–
- The Plastiki, a boat made mostly from recycled plastic bottles (12,500 of them), reached Sydney, Australia, to complete a 4-month journey across the Pacific Ocean–
- Catskill, New York, and Westfield, Massachusetts, each got 15 inches of rain, causing flash floods and enormous erosion damage–
- The temperature in Salt Lake City soared to an all-time high of 107 degrees F–
- Eastport, Maine, the northeastern most tip of the U.S., reached 96 degrees–