Daily Calendar for Monday, October 30, 2023
Question of the Day
How do you remove scorch marks left by an iron on a carpet?
To remove light scorch stains from washable materials, sponge them promptly with cool water. Or soak them in cool water for 30 minutes, then work undiluted liquid laundry detergent into the stains and rinse. Light scorch stains on nonwashable materials can be removed by sponging the fabric with hydrogen peroxide (test first for colorfastness), then sponging with water. Scorch stains are almost impossible to remove from silk or wool. Brushing the spot on a thick wool carpet lightly with emery cloth or very fine sandpaper may improve its appearance, but the stain cannot be removed if the carpet fibers have been burned.
Advice of the Day
Use vinegar to clean bathtub rings easily.
Home Hint of the Day
Add a few drops of ammonia to your pail of soapy water to cut any grease in the water.
Word of the Day
The point in a planet’s orbit that is farthest from the Sun.
Puzzle of the Day
What wig cannot a barber make?
- John Adams (2nd U.S. president) –
- Gertrude Atherton (author) –
- Ezra Pound (poet) –
- Charles Atlas (bodybuilder) –
- Ruth Gordon (actress) –
- Grace Slick (singer) –
- Joanna Shimkus (actress) –
- Henry Winkler (actor, director) –
- Andrea Mitchell (newscaster) –
- Henri Dunant (founder of the Red Cross) –
- Steve Allen (comedian) –
- Robert Goulet (singer & actor) –
- Al Molinaro (actor) –
- Bernard Slade (television writer and playwright) –
- Patent granted to Daniel Cooper for “workman’s time recorder”–
- The broadcast of Orson Welles’ radio drama, War of the Worlds, caused a national panic–
- Toronto’s first street vacuum debuted–
- The 24-second shot clock made its NBA debut–
- First Lamborghini car debuted–
- The film The Lion in Winter debuted, starring Katharine Hepburn and Peter O’Toole–
- Elton John appeared in a Royal Command Performance for the Queen of England–
- Mohammad Ali knocked out George Foreman in 8 rounds for the World Heavyweight Boxing championship title–
- Spectacular Northern Lights display was seen as far south as Florida–
- The Boston Red Sox won the World Series vs the St. Louis Cardinals. It marked the first time since 1918 that the Red Sox won a World Series on home turf at Fenway Park.–
- The Washington Nationals won the World Series (against the Houston Astros) for the first time in the club’s history–
- Buffalo Barracks, New York, received 30 inches of snow in a three-day storm–
- The Perfect Storm reached maximum intensity–