This is a user-submitted pet food recipe and has not been tested. Please check your pet’s dietary and nutritional requirements with a veterinarian before using this recipe.
Here’s a very easy dog treat that requires no cooking skills and can be baking in your oven in just minutes. It relies on puréed baby foods which are inexpensive and come in such an amazing variety of all-natural flavors. You can certainly purée real sweet potatoes or poultry yourself but picking up a couple jars is much easier. Make sure that baby food doesn’t contain garlic or onion which may be harmful to your dog.
1/2 of a 12-ounce jar of wheat germ*
1 4-ounce jar sweet potato and/or pumpkin baby food
1 4-ounce jar turkey and/or chicken baby food
about 1/3 cup of local honey
* If you don’t want to use wheat germ, you can substitute 1-1/2 cups oatmeal. Grind up the oatmeal in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, stirring to combine.
- Press into a pie tin to make a giant cookie. Or, use a tablespoon to drop balls of mixture onto a baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 to 22 minutes until firm to crisp (based on preference). The bottoms should be turning brown.
- Cool completely and store in refrigerator.
- If you made a giant cookie, break cookie into pieces to feed to dog.
We know your dogs will enjoy this treat! Hey, it’s edible for humans, too, if you wish to share. :-)