Here’s a fun, simple way to add a little green to a St. Patrick’s Day dessert.
Whether you need a treat for your child’s class or just want to make something for the Irish holiday for your family or coworkers, this mouthwatering combination of chocolate and mint will win everyone over. And the best part is that there are only a few simple ingredients involved!
Luck of the Irish Peppermint Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- (Or, instead of the above, 1 box of brownie mix)
- 1 container (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract, or more to taste
- 3 to 4 drops green food coloring
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- ½ cup heavy cream (I just used milk)
Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish.
For brownies: In a double boiler over not-quite-simmering water, melt chocolate and butter and stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly. Stir in vanilla, then flour. Spread in prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Cool in the pan.
For topping: Put cream cheese frosting into a bowl and add peppermint extract and food coloring. Spread evenly over cooled brownies.
In a pan over low heat, melt chocolate with heavy cream. Let cool slightly and drizzle or spread evenly over the frosting.
Let chocolate set, at room temperature, and then cut brownies into squares.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Don’t forget to check out our other favorite St. Patrick’s Day Recipes!