- Use a fast draining soil, such as cactus potting soil.
- Normal room temperature is good for most of the year, but keep it cooler in the winter (50 to 55° F).
- Find a location with bright light.
- Keep soil fairly dry. Water from spring through fall allowing soil to dry on the surface before re-watering. During the winter only water occasionally.
- Fertilize in the spring and bring into brighter room for the summer months.
- Re-potting every other year at the most is all the Ponytail Palm needs.
- Overwatering can contribute to stem rot. If you withhold watering, the plant may be able to internally cure the problem.
- Spider mites occur on the leaves, but can be fixed by rubbing a cloth of soap and water on the stems.