1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray or oil 12 muffin tin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Into a large mixing bowl, sift the flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the beets, coconut, dried cranberries, apple, and walnuts or pecans. Stir to blend and make a well in the center.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, oil, and vanilla and stir. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins, making each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle with rolled oats on the top of the batter in each cup. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Remove the muffins from the oven and set aside to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Remove the muffins from the tin to cool on a rack. Serve warm. Store in airtight container.
–Sherry Ricci, Mendon, New York