Recipes need not be complicated to earn praise. This simple artisan sandwich is a real crowd-pleaser! This recipe comes from Allison Zimmer in New York, the first prize winner of The 2016 Apple Recipe Contest.
1. Preheat a panini press or indoor grill. You could also use a heavy-bottom skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Lay four slices of bread on a flat surface. Top each with ½ tablespoon of mustard, followed by one slice of Swiss cheese. Add 2 ounces of smoked turkey, followed by three to four apple slices. Top with remaining cheese and bread.
3. Butter the top of each sandwich and place butter side down on the hot panini press. Butter the remaining side, then close the press and grill for 3 to 5 minutes, or until bread turns golden brown and cheese melts.
4. If using a skillet, spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray and place on top of the buttered sandwiches. Rest a cast-iron or other heavy skillet on top of foil and press sandwiches. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until bread turns golden brown and cheese melts.
5. Cut into triangles and serve immediately. Makes 4 sandwiches.
For more Apple Recipe Contest winners, get a copy of The 2017 Old Farmer’s Almanac Garden Guide!