Wrapped in foil and stored in an airtight container, this cake will keep for 4 to 5 days. To double its storage life, pour ¼ cup of sherry or bourbon over the top while it is cooling in the pan.
1. Preheat oven to 275°F. Grease an 8-½x4-½-inch loaf pan, line with wax paper, and grease wax paper.
2. In a bowl, combine nuts, fruit, candied ginger, and lemon zest.
3. In a separate bowl, add butter and sugar and beat until creamy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and then vanilla.
4. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ground ginger, and cloves. Add to butter mixture alternately with cider and stir until smooth. Stir in fruit mixture.
5. Beat egg whites until stiff, then gently fold into batter.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 75 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
7. In a pan over low heat, melt jam, then brush on top of cake.