This is definitely one of my favourites! Serve as either individual desserts or enjoy a slice with a dollop of cream over a coffee with friends. Heres a great entertaining tip; make the individual desserts the night before and heat in the microwave until warm, just before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a bowl, combine dates, baking soda and boiling water, allow to stand for 15 minutes or until the dates have softened and cooled.
3. Mix butter and sugar together, add egg and ¼ cup Cottee’s Maple Flavoured Syrup, beating well.
4. Sift the flour and gently fold in with dates.
5. Pour remaining ¼ cup Cottee’s Maple Flavoured Syrup into the base of a 9-inch round cake tin lined with wax paper. Spoon over the cake batter.
6. Bake for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Serve cut into wedges with extra syrup on the side.
7. Alternatively, put 2 teaspoons Cottee’s Maple Flavoured Syrup into the base of 6 greased ramekins, divide the batter evenly between them. Place on a baking tray and bake as above for 25-30 minutes.