Along with mouth-watering recipes full of all your favorite creamy, salty, sweet, spicy, and ooey gooey ingredients, the brand new Comfort Food cookbook provides some helpful tips and facts to assist you while making your favorite recipes from its pages. Here is a look at what’s inside!
• Same difference: yellow and red bell peppers are actually just green bell peppers that were left on the plant to mature.
• Baking Soda & Baking Powder:
o Baking soda, which contains sodium hydroxide and carbonic acid, requires an acidic ingredient, such as buttermilk or yogurt, in a batter to help a baked good rise.
o Baking powder, which contains cream of tarter and sodium bicarbonate, does not require an acidic ingredient in a batter to help a baked good rise.
o Whereas baking soda has an unlimited shelf life as long as it stays dry, the acid ingredient (s) in baking powder can cause it to lose its strength in about a year.
• Discard green potatoes; they are bitter and mildly toxic. Green skin indicates that the potato has been exposed to sunlight.
• Cleaning mushrooms: wiping is a generally accepted way to clean off mushrooms. Rinsing them usually just traps water in the gills and can make them sodden. Never rinse them unless they’re really dirty.
• Onion advice: If a recipe calls for half an onion, use the top half. The root will help to preserve the lower half for use later.
• Creative carrots: Chop leftover cooked carrots and add to hamburger meat or use to extend meat loaves or meatballs.
• Keep your pantry stocked with a variety of additions for muffins: raisins, nuts, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, canned pumpkin, applesauce, and pineapple tidbits.
• The Best Spot: When baking a pie, rotate it 180 degrees midway through the baking time. The back of most ovens is typically hotter than the front. Rotating helps baked goods to cook evenly and balances the surface browning.
• Mush Factor: Do not wash strawberries until you are ready to use them. Moisture will cause the berries to become mushy.
For more cooking tips and some delicious recipes, get a copy of the new Comfort Food cookbook, available online here!