Jade plants can grow to a height of 24 inches when indoors. They have a shrub-like form with thick branches and smooth, oval-shaped leaves. The plants are fairly resilient and easy to grow.
How to Grow Jade Plants Indoors
Jade can make a great houseplant, especially in a classic terracotta pot.Crestock
- Grow in a single pot with an all-purpose soil blend.
- Provide medium light daily for a few hours; keeping it in the kitchen or office is a great spot with just enough light.
- The plant prefers room temperature in general, but slightly cooler in the winter (55 degrees F).
- Allow to dry between waterings, keeping the soil moderately dry.
- If shedding or brown spots occur on the leaves, however, it is an indication the plant needs more water.
- During the winter months you can water less, but do not let it over-dry.
- There may be problems with mealybugs hiding under the stems and leaves. To remove the bugs use a spray bottle of water or insecticidal soap.
- Powdery mildew is common as well.
A related plant is the Money Plant or the Silver Dollar Plant.
Wit & Wisdom
Grow the Jade in a small pot and hold back the water. This may persuade them to flower. Cooler temperatures in the winter promote bloom, too.