View the Mini Strawberry Moon LIVE Thursday, June 8. The Moon will appear at its smallest in the night sky—and we’ll have a close-up look, courtesy of Slooh and their giant telescopes! (Note: The Moon is technically full on Friday morning during daylight, hence this astronomy show is Thursday evening at 7:30 P.M. EDT.
Live Show: Mini Strawberry Moon
Show starts below at 4:30 PM PDT | 7:30 PM EDT | 23:30 UTC Thursday.
(See more times.)
It’s the smallest, sweetest Moon of the year, and we’re looking at it live right on this page, courtesy of Slooh and their giant telescopes! Enjoy the Mini Strawberry Moon as we talk all about why the Moon seems to change size throughout the year and how this particular Moon got this juicy name.
The Mini (or Apogee) Moon occurs only once every year, when the Moon’s orbit takes it further away from Earth. During that time, the Moon appears 14% smaller in the sky than it does when it is a Mega (or Perigee) Moon. Join us on June 8 to discover the secrets of the Mini Strawberry Moon!
June Full Moon Names
The month of June’s Full Moon’s name is the Full Strawberry Moon. June’s Full Strawberry Moon got its name because the Algonquin tribes knew it as a signal to gather ripening fruit. It was often known as the Full Rose Moon in Europe and the Honey Moon. See all Full Moon names and their meanings.
This June, the Moon is officially full the morning of Friday, June 9, so the Moon will still appear full the day prior and after the peak.
Why the June 2017 Full Moon is Different
- June’s full moon will be the smallest full moon of 2017, sometimes called a “minimoon.” The full Moon is at “apogee” or the point in its orbit when it is farthest from Earth. This is the opposite of the “supermoon” that has become a popular way to reference “perigee” or the point in the Moon’s orbit when it is nearest to Earth. We doubt the casual observer can really perceive the difference in appearance, but it’s still an interesting fact!
- What you will notice is that the June 2017 full Moon is the lowest Moon of the year. Because of that, it’s color may look amber-colored so it will truly appear as the “Honey Moon” that’s also a common name for this month’s Moon. Read Bob’s post about June’s Honey Moon: The Lowest Moon of the Year.
Moon Phases for June 2017
See the Moon Phase Calendar for your city/state.
(Note: All dates and times below are ET.)
|First Quarter: June 1, 8:42 A.M.|
|Full Moon: June 9, 9:10 A.M.|
|Last Quarter: June 17, 7:33 A.M.|
|New Moon: June 23, 10:31 P.M.|
|First Quarter: June 30, 8:51 P.M.|
For your next full Moon, see our Full Moon Dates chart.
Full Strawberry Moon Video
Each month, we will explain the traditional names of the Full Moon along with some fascinating Moon facts. In this video, learn about the Full Strawberry Moon. Click below to watch video.
Best Days in June 2017
Below are the best days for activities, based on the Moon’s sign and phase in June.
For Cutting Hay:
- 18, 19
For Setting Eggs:
- 3, 4, 11–13
- 1–9, 23–30
Moon Facts & Folklore
- A growing Moon and a flowing tide are lucky times to marry.
- Days following both the New and Full Moons are most likely to be rainy or stormy.
- Crabbing, shrimping, and clamming are best when the Moon is full.
Share your thoughts about this month’s Moon below!