Here are highlights of the August 2013 Moon. The Almanac's monthly Moon guide keeps you informed about full Moon names, Moon phase dates, and Best Days by the Moon.
Full Moon Names
August is the month of the Full Sturgeon Moon. Some Native American tribes knew that the sturgeon of the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain were most readily caught during this full Moon. Others called it the Green Corn Moon or the Grain Moon.
Moon Phase Dates 2013
All dates and times are ET. See the Moon Phase Calendar for your city/state.
|New Moon: August 6, 5:51 P.M.|
|First Quarter: August 14, 6:56 A.M.|
|Full Moon: August 20, 9:45 P.M.|
|First Quarter: August 28, 5:35 A.M.|
For your next full Moon, see our Full Moon Dates chart.
Find Your Next Full Moon!
Our Full Moon Finder App will put a smile on your face. Find “next” full Moon dates to help plan events, fishing and hunting trips, and more.
Each day, a large Moon image will show how much of its surface is lit—along with Moon folklore for the day and the name of each full Moon (e.g., Full Snow Moon, Full Strawberry Moon).
Click here to learn more about Full Moon Finder App!
Full Moon Video
Each month, we will explain the traditional names of the full Moon along with some fascinating facts. In this video, learn about the Full Sturgeon Moon. Click below to watch video.
Best Days in August 2013
Below are the Best Days for activities, based on the Moon's sign and phase in August.
For Cutting Hay:
- 23, 24
For Setting Eggs:
- 19, 20, 27, 28
Moon Facts & Folklore
- 40 minutes before sunrise on the 3rd, bright Jupiter sits to the left of the waning crescent Moon
- On the 4th, in the growing morning twilight, Jupiter, Mars, and Mercury stand in a row with the crescent Moon to their right.
- On the 9th, Venus, still quite low in the west soon after sunset, hovers above the Moon.
- Much higher on the 12th, the Moon is to the lower right of Saturn at nightfall.
- The Moon will set before midnight on the 11th and 12th and will not spoil the great Perseid meteors, the year's best "shooting stars."
- Clothes washed for the first time in the full Moon will not last long.
- If you glimpse the new Moon over your right shoulder, you will have good luck.
- To have a project prosper, start it during the new Moon.
- Babies born a day after the full Moon enjoy success and endurance.
Share your thoughts about this month's Moon below!