Daily Calendar for Monday, April 10, 2023
Question of the Day
I have some pecan trees in my yard. The fruit of the nut is never good and looks as if it’s rotten. Can you tell me what it is or what to do about it?
Pecan scab, a fungus disease, may be the culprit. Fungicide spray should begin two weeks after budbreak. We’d also suggest consulting your county agent through the Cooperative Extension Service. Be sure to burn old hulls and infested nuts in order to control shuckworm and nut weevils.
Advice of the Day
After scrambling eggs, add salted water to the frying pan for easy cleanup.
Home Hint of the Day
End checking in lumber occurs because the ends, exposed to the air, dry faster than the rest of the board. Prevent this by sealing the end grain with wax, shellac, or paint.
Word of the Day
The point in the Moon’s orbit that is farthest from Earth.
Puzzle of the Day
What is the hardest part about skydiving?
- Joseph Pulitzer (newspaper publisher & founder of Pulitzer Prize) –
- Jack Miner (Canadian naturalist ) –
- Frances Perkins (first woman to hold a cabinet position in the U.S.) –
- Dolores Huerta (American civil rights activist) –
- Omar Sharif (actor) –
- Steven Seagal (actor and martial artist) –
- Mandy Moore (singer & actress) –
- Haley Joel Osment (actor) –
- AJ Michalka (actress) –
- Marjorie Main (actress) –
- Natalie Schafer (actress) –
- Sam Kinison (comedian) –
- Dixie Carter (actress) –
- Safety pin patented by Walter Hunt–
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was incorporated–
- First Arbor Day celebration held in Nebraska–
- Trans-Canada Air Lines created by Parliament–
- Feature length, full color, 3-D movie premiered in NYC: House of Wax starring Vincent Price–
- Gidget premiered–
- A 5-pound white crappie was caught in the Bibb County pond in Georgia–
- The comic strip FoxTrot debuted–
- Charles Osgood became host of CBS’s Sunday Morning”“–
- Danny Willett won the Masters golf tournament–
- Portland, Maine, had 15 inches of snow–
- Dust storms became severe in Kansas and Iowa, closing schools and highways–
- A 253 mph gust of wind was recorded on Barrow Island, Australia, during Cyclone Olivia. It was the fastest wind gust ever recorded on Earth.–