Daily Calendar for Thursday, April 20, 2023
Question of the Day
I have some tropical hibiscus plants that grew and bloomed quite well last summer. Now they are inside and very large. I’ve taken cuttings in the past. Some make it, others don’t. What is the best time to prune these plants, and when and how can I make successful cuttings?
The best time to prune them is in the spring; take the cuttings then.
Advice of the Day
Rivers (or other water) in your dreams suggest your emotional state.
Home Hint of the Day
Refill an empty spray bottle with car windshield washer fluid, which is inexpensive and available in large containers. Use this to wash the windows of your house.
Word of the Day
A report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people.
Puzzle of the Day
What washes up on very small beaches?
- George Clinton (became first U.S. vice president to die in office) –
- Bram Stoker (author) –
- Benny Hill (comedian) –
- Christopher Robin Milne (son of A.A. Milne, basis for the Winnie the Pooh character Christopher Robin) –
- Dorothy Height (civil rights activist; she stood on the platform with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. during his historic I Have a Dream” speech”) –
- Daniel Chester French (sculptor) –
- Stanley Marcus (retailer) –
- Lionel Hampton (jazz musician) –
- Jessica Lange (actress) –
- Don Mattingly (baseball player) –
- Felix Baumgartner (daredevil) –
- Shemar Moore (actor) –
- Joey Lawrence (actor) –
- Funny Cide (thoroughbred race horse, won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes in 2003) –
- Hot Springs Reservation (now National Park) was established in Arkansas–
- French scientists Pierre and Marie Curie isolated radium chloride from pitchblende–
- Boston’s Fenway Park hosted its first professional baseball game. The Boston Red Sox played the New York Highlanders (now the Yankees).–
- Electron microscope demonstrated to public–
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau was sworn in as 15th Prime Minister of Canada–
- 54-pound 8-ounce freshwater drum caught in Nickajack Lake, Tennessee–
- During a fishing trip, an upset swamp rabbit approached President Carter’s boat, Plains, GA–
- Tony Gemignani spun 17.6 ounces of dough for 2 minutes to form pizza base 33.2 inches wide, in Minneapolis, Minnesota–
- New York Yankee’s Aaron Hicks threw 105.5 mph ball from left field, setting baseball record–
- A San Antonio hailstorm severely injured ten soldiers and killed two horses–
- Six inches of snow in northern New Hampshire–
- Deadly F3 tornado touched down in Utica, Illinois–
- Ice out, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH–