Setting chicken eggs by the Moon? According to tradition, this age-old practice will produce chickens that are healthier and mature faster. Here are best days to set eggs for 2020.
How to Calculate Dates to Set Eggs
- Chicks take about 21 days to hatch.
- Those born under a waxing Moon, in the fruitful signs of Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces, are healthier and mature faster.
- To ensure that chicks are born during these times, determine the best days to “set eggs” (to place eggs in an incubator or under a hen.)
- To calculate the best days to set eggs, find the three fruitful birth signs. Find in your Almanac or purchase your own Moon’s Sign Calendar here.
- Using only the fruitful dates between the new and full Moons, count back 21 days to find the best days to set eggs. See Moon phases for your area.
- Example: the Moon is new on June 12 and full on June 26. Between these dates, on June 13 and 14, the Moon is in the sign of Cancer. To have chicks born on June 13, count back 21 days; set eggs on May 23.
2020 Best Days to Set Eggs
- January: 6, 7, 16, 17
- February: 2–4, 12, 13
- March: 10–12
- April: 6–8, 15, 16
- May: 4, 5, 12–15, 31
- June: 1, 9, 10, 29
- July: 6, 7
- August: 2, 3, 11, 12, 30, 31
- September: 7–9, 26, 27
- October: 5, 6
- November: 1, 2, 28–30
- December: 8, 25–27
Read more about Raising Chickens our six-part beginner series.