We, your Almanac editors, are excited to announce the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook! After inspiring and instructing gardeners for 227 years (!), we have created a single “how to garden” reference book that includes all of our expertise. All you need to know to grow! Take a peek of what is inside …
Like that treasured cookbook that you refer to again and again, the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook is designed to be the definitive gardening resource! No one knows gardening like The Old Farmer’s Almanac!
Why now? It may surprise some readers to learn that the Almanac has never gathered all of our advice together into one go-to book—and we have taught generations how to bring their gardens from seed to seedling to flower to fruit! Happily, we are finding that gardening is on the rise again! According to the National Gardening Association, 35% of U.S. households grow food at home or in a community garden—and that number is “growing.”
We created the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook to bring the joy of vegetable gardening to everyone—no matter their age, gender, income level, or how much space they have to grow the veggie garden of their dreams. We cover all of the essentials: planting, watering, protection from pests, harvesting, and bushels of growing-specific articles and reference charts.
What’s Inside the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook?
The practical advice presented in the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook demystifies gardening by providing the best-proven methods for sowing, growing, and harvesting.
- Step-by-step advice for success with more than 30 vegetables in any zone
- The dirt on soil: why testing is so important—and how to do it
- Easy techniques for growing in-ground, plus alternatives to traditional raised beds
- Seed-starting and -saving methods simplified
- Gardeners’ friends and foes: Learn which plants help (or hinder) vegetables
- Enlightening (and humorous!) anecdotes from fellow gardeners
- Space for noting your observations and experiences
- More than 150 full-color photos
- Essential reference tables and charts
- Much, much more!
Take a look inside the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook!
Only The Old Farmer’s Almanac has the know-how and knowledge to offer the very best tried-and-true information, tips, and advice about all things gardening and growing. With the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook, we are a patient mentor passing down the secrets of growing great food to every gardener, green thumb or otherwise.
As curious gardeners know (and gardening is indeed for the curious!) …
Life begins the day you start a garden.
For this reason and many more, we’ve created the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook to serve as the essential easy-to-use guide for anyone starting—or restarting!—a veggie garden.
Give the Gift of Gardening
We’ve introduced the book now for the gardeners who wish to test and nourish their soil in the fall—or, to start their garden planning for the new year!
Plus, with the holidays coming up, the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook is also a beautiful gift for any gardener, friend, teacher, neighbor, or family member with a sunny patch of land!
The Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook is available across the nation. You can find a copy:
- In our Almanac.com store now. We’re excited to see that copies are going fast! Take a look inside the pages of the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook.
- On pre-order Amazon.com, shipping November 12.
- Coming to select retail stores by November 12 (if not before!). Ask for a copy at Tractor Supply, Rural King, and Books A Million.
Next year, grow your best vegetable garden ever with a little help from North America’s new definitive gardening resource, the Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook.